butterfly sticked stach

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Wim van Egmond

butterfly sticked stach

Post by Wim van Egmond »

This stitched stack image is bigger than that of the bug and grasshopper. apr. 11000 X 8000 pix. It looks a bit artificial bit it is for an art project so I think I'll get away with it:)

I had some difficulty with the composition. I copied on of the wings but it is still a bit too similar. Perhaps I'll correct this. I think it needs some extra work. It is also a bit too flat. But it is very detailed.

Wim

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Fantastic photo Wim. Are you cutting around every hair on the wing edge? I do some Jewelry shots at work and what a pain going around a thousand beads. Is that what you call stitching?
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Very beautiful Wim, classic expressionism (is that a word...expressionism?) I would say. :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Wim, any chance of posting out a low-quality JPEG at full resolution, of at least a portion of this thing? Those fine hairs and edge scales are always troublesome for me. I'd be interested to see what yours look like.

Doug, it's not necessary to draw around each hair individually. There are tools built into Photoshop for automating the process, and probably some plugins that do even better. Actually I'd like very much to hear what Wim is using. Most of mine was done with the built-in "magic wand" selection tool set to a tight tolerance (like 10 out of a possible 255). It worked OK, but I'm pretty sure that tool is not state-of-the-art.

--Rik

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Rik,

The reason why I copied that butterfly in the background was that I was trying different constellations by repositioning the 3 butterflies. The friend I am doing this project with was here and said:'why don't you copy that wing?' I tried it and the image became more balanced. I would prefer another solution but this was best for the moment.

I think when you are too concentrated on the details and on the technique you lose the overview. Than is it is good to have some feedback. But I have to make the copied wing less similar, perhaps make it a bit blurry, or darker.

The cutting out is done with 'select colour range' Than I make an opacity layer. I can retouch this with a brush. It is best to photograph the insects with a background that is close to what you want in the final image.

When I see your image I would prefer that grey backgroudn a bit lighter and a bit blueish, this would make a nice contrast with the brown. But Paul prefered less blue I think.

I'll post a part of the image at 100%. Your results are a bit sharper than mine, Rik! I still have to do retouching on this image. The most difficult are the hazy hairs, there are still some light lines around the hairs.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/u ... ontage.jpg

Wim

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Wim, thanks for the info & full-resolution clip. I'll have to play around with the 'select colour range' tool. I've always imagined that in concept it's similar to the 'magic wand', but there could be differences that I've not thought about. In any case, it seems to give similar results.

About the background in my image, I have the same feeling as you, that more bluish would be better. It can be fixed, though. What's there should be close enough that I can re-mask and tweak the background color a bit without causing any problems.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic