Paramecium (aurelia?) stills and video (rotating body)

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bruce Williams

Paramecium (aurelia?) stills and video (rotating body)

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi folks,

This is approximately 30 seconds cropped from an 8 minute video. The video shows the periods of relatively calmer motion when the paramecium chose to hover and rotate along its longitudinal axis. The other seven and a half minutes involved me frantically following the creature at breakneck speed - my mechanical stage and fine focus were glowing red hot (ok - maybe that's a slight exageration). Here's a set of actual size stills from the video.

The video is in DivX format and hits the scales at around 6.5 Mb. If you have the codec it will play in Windows Media Player. The background may appear rather pixelated however the important detail in the paramecium has not been noticibly affected. If you are playing it in "DivX Player" you will need to set "deblocking" to medium or low if you want to observe the cilia in motion.

I find it interesting to look into and through the paramecium's body as it rotates. Click the link below to download the video:

http://www.tal-handaq.co.uk/paramecium2.html

I think that this is one of the smaller species of paramecium. If you can identify the species please do let me know.

Bruce
Last edited by Bruce Williams on Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi Bruce,

good shots, I love Paramecium. Unfortunatly the link doesn't work!

Keep it up

Bernhard

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Bernhard - could you give it another try please. There was an error but I corrected it within a couple of mins. Bruce

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Bingo!! Works fine. The Paramecium has got a peculiar shape, I think it's P. aurelia rather than caudatum.

Bye, Bernhard

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Some nice shots there Bruce, numerous vacuoles, cell inclusions, trichocysts, and even the oral groove are all quite visible. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic