www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Leitz Ortholux I Set-up
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Leitz Ortholux I Set-up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmillard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Leitz Ortholux I Set-up Reply with quote

After reading this thread here, I realized that I had never posted an image of my Ortholux arrangement. These are quick. hand-held shots that I took in our spare bathroom (it's temporary home), but hopefully there will be something of value to some viewer here.

I have a 3-axis Newport stage that is more versatile, but I like the Ortholux stand because of its mass, simplicity, and ease of use. The fine focus knob moves smoothly in 1μm increments (admittedly through a short range), there is a reliable locking knob on the coarse focus that eliminates any creep, and the stage moves up and down a considerable distance.

I have Leitz extension tubes in a set of lengths, which work great for discrete magnifications, but I also have a variable Leitz extension tube if I wish to fine-tune the magnification. The tubes and the turret are physically isolated; a small cylinder of black card stock, lined with black flocking, rests in the interior and blocks extraneous light. I use a gooseneck LED lamp to see the markings on the fine focus dial when I have turned off the lights. I can use several objectives in the turret if I'm trying to find something of interest at different magnifications, or use a single objective and nosepiece inserts to facilitate easier lighting with fiber optics.

There is a piece of steel, that I've darkened with phosphoric acid, on the stage in these images. A butterfly wing is sandwiched between two pieces of cardstock and held down by two ferrite magnets. This is an easy non-destructive way to temporarily secure relatively flat materials. I have quite a few extra magnets - if anyone wants some, send me a PM.

Eric F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a fabulous setup David! Is that variable Leitz tube a Leica Coomi? The steel, card & magnet holder is very clever...

Eric
dmillard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eric -

It is a Leitz COOMI.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: