www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - The subtleties of fly ID's - stereo pair added
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The subtleties of fly ID's - stereo pair added
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morfa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work NU!

I think you should continue with your squinting practise – I get a lot out of the 3D images.

BTW: I wonder if Rik posted those animations side by side above the stereogram knowing the funky dance that appears if you happen to "squint merge" the one rocking left-right with the one going up and down Laughing
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morfa wrote:
I wonder if Rik posted those animations side by side above the stereogram knowing the funky dance that appears if you happen to "squint merge" the one rocking left-right with the one going up and down Laughing

No, I just did it to save screen space -- didn't stop to think that it looks like stereo. Embarassed

That is a funky dance! But it also suggests that a stereo animation with the critter moving in a circle would be pretty effective. Perhaps later...

--Rik
LordV

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjlittlefield wrote:
morfa wrote:
I wonder if Rik posted those animations side by side above the stereogram knowing the funky dance that appears if you happen to "squint merge" the one rocking left-right with the one going up and down Laughing

No, I just did it to save screen space -- didn't stop to think that it looks like stereo. Embarassed

That is a funky dance! But it also suggests that a stereo animation with the critter moving in a circle would be pretty effective. Perhaps later...

--Rik

Rik - someone has done a rotational stereo after seeing some of my normal stereos and animated GIFS -
Interestingly it was done for bug ID for the US forestry commision
http://tonygt19.smugmug.com/Nature/Macros/600-width/185653683_LQGYJ-O-1.gif

Brian V.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordV wrote:
Rik - someone has done a rotational stereo after seeing some of my normal stereos and animated GIFS -
Interestingly it was done for bug ID for the US forestry commision
http://tonygt19.smugmug.com/Nature/Macros/600-width/185653683_LQGYJ-O-1.gif

Ah! I know those people.

If I recall correctly, that animation is true stereo. They shoot 72 stacks separated by 5 degrees (72*5=360), then assemble each neighboring pair of stacked composites to make 72 stereo pairs.

They were intrigued by the thought of using Zerene Stacker synthetic stereo to fill in the gaps, making a smoother animation from the same number of raw frames. A lens operating at f/8 on the subject side has an aperture that spans about 7 degrees, so at least for smaller subjects there should be enough data in each stack for that to work out OK.

By the way, when I wrote "moving in a circle", I was actually thinking of rocking up/down and side/side simultaneously, with 90 degrees phase shift. Think of sliding the optical axis around the surface of a cone.

--Rik
Graham46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjlittlefield wrote:

Ah! I know those people.

Hey, I know those people too... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: