New Sights on my SA 1911A1

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Hack

New Sights on my SA 1911A1

Post by Hack »

New Sights on my SA 1911A1:

A friend was asking about the new sights that I installed on my Springfield Armory 1911A1 Military Spec pistol.

They're Heine Eights and make me a better shot.

In order to get both in focus, I stacked them with Zenene Stacker.

C and C are welcome.

Hack

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Guess I overlooked this one earlier.

This is an interesting image. Very geometric and a bit stark.

I find I have to think about this one a lot. I assume (after thinking) that the red T is in one plane (the front sight?), while the white T and the horizontal strata are in another plane (the rear sight?).

Visually, I am a bit distracted by the OOF thing dead center. Since everything else is sharply focused, it would have been nice if that was too. (A general rule: any small thing that has a different style from the rest of the image tends to attract attention.)

I'm not sure what would have been the best way to convey the geometry, if that was your intent. Perhaps a pair of photos, one as you have it, and another shot from a slightly higher viewpoint, showing the front and rear sights as separate entities?

I am seeing what look like JPEG compression artifacts in this image. Checking the file size, I see it is only 23.4 KB. Generally it is a good idea to save at a higher quality. This would make the background visually smoother by eliminating some of the "plaid" texture.

--Rik

Hack

Post by Hack »

Thanks, Rik,

Everything that is white is on the rear sight. The way I composed the pic was to show a correct sight picture. As you probably know, if I had raised the front sight blade to show more of it, I would have shown an incorrect sight picture. Now that I think about it, it would have been more effective to show the red front sight elevated in a separate picture.

The OOF thing in the center is the tip of the hammer. I did not start focusing in time to get it sharp, too.

On another note, I am going to purchase Zenen Stacker, do I need to go back the your web site and just get it again, but this time purchase a license or is there a way to use my downloaded trial version to buy it?

Hack

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

You have to go through the web site to purchase a license, but you do not need to download a new copy of the software. The license key comes back to you by email, then you use copy/paste to put it into the software that you already have installed. Detailed instructions come in the email.

Installing a license retains any settings that you have made in the software, and installing future software updates will retain both settings and license. It's pretty routine stuff, except that the license key contains plaintext information as well as a cryptic signature. All parts have to be installed, as described in the instructions.

--Rik

Hack

Post by Hack »

Got it done,

Thanks
Bobby

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic