Not sure what I'm looking at?

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mo Vaughan

Not sure what I'm looking at?

Post by Mo Vaughan »

Hi Members,
Have just taken a sample from the pond we have, its rich in duck poo, goose poo, & bird poo. (we do clean it out every two weeks).
I was looking at these 'things' as I do not yet fully understand what there is swimming around in the 'poo pond'.
Could some one please tell what they can define from the pictures, thankyou.
Looking forward to being enlightened, are there Amoebas, Bacteri,Rotifers, Ciliates, Diatoms, Desmids,Grenn Algae?
Got those names from, http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/micropolitan/index.html great stuff.
Thanks to all concerned.
Mo.
Thebeeman

BJ

Post by BJ »

Hi Mo...me again.

The last picture is definitely a fungal spore - it looks as though it is just starting to germinate.

Brian O

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

A lot of that could be ascomycetes (Ascomycota) and algae, along with hoards of bacteria of all types no doubt. I would have to agree some with Brian O (BJ) on the last one, however on second thought, it does look like an ascus, probably belonging to the Ascomycota. :-k

BJ

Post by BJ »

Hi Mo and Ken,

I'm with you Ken that it is an ascomycete, but I am pretty certain that it is not an ascus but an asexual multicellular spore ("conidium" - plural conidia). An ascus would contain typically 8 unicellular spores. This specimen has 8 cross divisions, but some of these are further divided into 2 or 3 more cells.

My guess is that it is a spore of Alternaria - a genus of plant parasites. An image search on Alta Vista will bring up a lot of pictures of very similar spores.

Keep looking down.
Best wishes
Brian O.

Mo Vaughan

Post by Mo Vaughan »

Hi Ken & BJ
Many thanks for giving me your time and passing on your knowledge.
This is just the beginning for me as I normally photgraph and dissect honey bees.
I have just read the article by Charlie Krebs on the best way to obtain a sample, this is what I need to know how to conduct a propper examination and at what magnification etc.

So once again Ken & BJ many, many thanks.
What is this?
Thebeeman

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Looks to be a mite of some kind. I find them quite often too. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic