Bracket Fungi, What's on or in them...?

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Bracket Fungi, What's on or in them...?

Post by Ken Ramos »

So what lives on one of these algal infested lovely's :roll: I soaked them in distilled water and then scraped one to get a closer view of the algae that was covering this fungi. This is also, called by some, a shelf lichen, of which it is in no way a species of lichen, at least to my knowledge. :-k

The bracket fungi as seen through the Meiji EMZ-13TR @ 10X to give you some idea from what I have taken the next two images from.

Not too sure of what this is, maybe a microsporidium or something of that nature.

And last but not least, the algae that is infesting the fungi. :)

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Some really nice micro shot there Ken. The second one is an interesting creature. In the first photo, there looks like smaller fungi growing on the shelf fungi...is that what the small black things are with the small heads?
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi Ken

your second image shows an ascospore to my knowledge. Just do a google image search!

Bernhard

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Doug asked:
In the first photo, there looks like smaller fungi growing on the shelf fungi...is that what the small black things are with the small heads?
I have not researched them Doug but I would assume that they are a reproductive body of sorts, probably to aid in spore dispersal but then again some of the bracket fungi release spores from underneath I think. I know little about them. Thanks Doug. :D

Bernhard:
I believe you are right. I never Googled them but I have seen photos and references to them in past searchs for things of microscopic nature. I just could not remember the proper name. Thanks Bernhard :D

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Neat little project!
I suppose it makes sense there would be algae there as fungi like moist environments. But I would have thought that lack of light might be a problem tho, but obviously they manage!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Cyclops commented:
I suppose it makes sense there would be algae there as fungi like moist environments. But I would have thought that lack of light might be a problem tho, but obviously they manage!
There was plenty of light in the area form where I took the bracket fungi samples there Cyclops. Back during the first part of the summer, some logging was done in the woodland area from which I had taken the samples. They were growing on an old hardwood stump and the area around it recieved a moderate amount of day and sunlight, so the algae had a place to bloom. Thanks Cyclops :D

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Hey heres a thoght. Do you think that, back in the mists of time, this kind of cohabiting (cant call it symbiosis) eventually led to the development of lichens?
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

I enjoy your inquisitive nature Ken and the resulting images. Don't ever stop.

Walt

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Walt :D If curiosity killed the cat...I had better look out. :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic