My first insect macros

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

homestar455

My first insect macros

Post by homestar455 »

Hello all, I'm new to the world of macro, and I'd appreciate any advice or critique on my first few attempts at macro.

Damselfly:
ISO: 80
Aperture: f/8
Shutter: 1/320

Bee:
Aperture: f/3.3
Shutter: 1/1000

Grasshopper:
Shutter: 1/200

Cow Killer:
Shutter: 1/400

Ladybugs:
Shutter: 1/100

These were all taken in the wild here in Southern California, captured on my Panasonic Lumix FZ7 using it's built in 72mm lens with a Tokina "3x Telephoto conversion lens" reversed in front of that, and a Digital Concepts macro focusing element mounted in front of the reversed lens.

The grasshopper is an HDR and is the only majorly edited image in there, the rest were only touched up to remove some severe Chromatic Aberrations.

Again, any comments or critique would be greatly appreciated.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Not bad at all, but if you want an alternative simple snap on macro lens I think you may get sharper results with the Raynox DCR-250 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAYNOX-DCR-250-Su ... 3ef9af084d Some really cracking shots have been posted on this forum using the Raynox on Lumix cameras and it's a modest price too.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

homestar45, welcome aboard! :D

Your photos show a lot of promise. I especially like the first one, the damselfly. Good focus placement on the face and eyes, and the slight tilt adds some interest.

Cactusdave has a good suggestion. To see examples, look at any of MarkB1's images in the Nature Photography section. I believe they are all shot with a Panasonic FZ50 and Raynox adapter. See for example HERE.

--Rik

homestar455

Post by homestar455 »

@Cactusdave: Thanks for the suggestion, that looks like it'd work out a lot better than my current bulky rig.

@rjlittlefield: Thanks, I'm hoping with practice, my pictures will show more than just promise. ;)
Awesome, thanks for the link... Now I really want one of those. Those pictures blow away anything I could get with my current lenses.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Hey good to see you here Tim!
Welcome abord
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

homestar455

Post by homestar455 »

Cyclops wrote:Hey good to see you here Tim!
Welcome abord
Thanks, glad to be here Larry.

PaulFurman

Post by PaulFurman »

Nice set.

What the heck is a cow killer???

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

PaulFurman wrote:What the heck is a cow killer???
It's a wasp. Order Hymenoptera, family Mutillidae, common name "velvet ants" in honor of the fur. The females are wingless and sting ferociously, hence "cow killer".

BugGuide can often help with questions like this, for example a search on cow killer gives THIS.

--Rik

homestar455

Post by homestar455 »

PaulFurman wrote:Nice set.

What the heck is a cow killer???
Thank you.

As Rik said, it's a type of wasp. (that's the translation for stupid people like me) Thanks for the info Rik.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Most beginners will shoot from above. You have shot from their level. A great start!

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

homestar455

Post by homestar455 »

Harold Gough wrote:Most beginners will shoot from above. You have shot from their level. A great start!

Harold
Thanks, I truthfully did originally try to shoot from above at first, but I didn't like the way the shots were turning out like that.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

homestar455 wrote:
Harold Gough wrote:Most beginners will shoot from above. You have shot from their level. A great start!

Harold
Thanks, I truthfully did originally try to shoot from above at first, but I didn't like the way the shots were turning out like that.
You have the instinct for what is aesthetically good, rather than just technically correct (focus, exposure, etc.).

Try using vertical (portrait) format for some shots, when shooting or by cropping.

Harold

homestar455

Post by homestar455 »

Harold Gough wrote: You have the instinct for what is aesthetically good, rather than just technically correct (focus, exposure, etc.).

Try using vertical (portrait) format for some shots, when shooting or by cropping).

Harold
Thank you, I've actually been trying to train myself not to put all my focus and effort on the technical aspects, neglecting aesthetics. So I'm glad to hear you say that.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind next time I go shooting... In hindsight, that damselfly would've looked way better if I used portrait orientation and better composed the shot.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

homestar455 wrote:In hindsight, that damselfly would've looked way better if I used portrait orientation and better composed the shot.
That's the one I had in mind. The grasshopper is marginal.

Harold

homestar455

Post by homestar455 »

Harold Gough wrote:
homestar455 wrote:In hindsight, that damselfly would've looked way better if I used portrait orientation and better composed the shot.
That's the one I had in mind. The grasshopper is marginal.

Harold
Come to think of it, I did try a few of that grasshopper in portrait orientation... But he flew away before I could align the camera in a way I liked...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic