Leitz Objective

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

fengqirst

Leitz Objective

Post by fengqirst »

What's the meaning of the"N"in"NPL FLUOTAR PHACO 3"on Leitz objective?
Image[/img]

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

A question that has puzzled me as well. N for "New" is a possiblity... but perhaps too obvious. This contemporary document from Leitz has some interesting info but not the origin of the "N". http://science-info.net/docs/leitz/Leit ... s_1985.pdf In any case they are excellent objectives.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

New may be it. I think they called them NeoPlans at one time but I might be confusing them with someone else back in antiquity. :roll: :lol:

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Very anecdotally... I have seen it mentioned as "New" as well. But this was not in any official Leitz literature.

Tardigrade37

Post by Tardigrade37 »

I'm pretty sure the "N" stands for "normal". NPL objectives are semi-plan objectives and are corrected for a flat field over the "normal" field of view (ie the field observed by the camera).

Edit - Found a useful link:
http://www.microscopyu.com/articles/opt ... specs.html

fengqirst

Post by fengqirst »

Thanks to all,through observation I think the "normal"is correct,because the field of the“NPL”objectives is not very flat.So the“NPL”objectives may be semi-plan objectives.

Perl

About Leitz Objectives

Post by Perl »

Hi All !

NPL - NeoPlans

And this Objectives are a Semi Apocromatic Objectives

Hope this Help

Regards

Pär Lundqvist
Sweden
****** Seeing is Believing ******

Juergen Boschert

Post by Juergen Boschert »

Hi everyone,

nope´, NPL stands for "normal plan", i.e., for a flat-field correction for a field number around 20. Leitz used this expression, to distinguish these (easier to build an, hence, cheaper) flat-field lenses from there top-of-the-line series, the PL lenses; those had a flat-field correction for a field number of 28. Both, PL as well as NPL lenses, were offered with achromatic and semi-apochromatic colour correction. Apochromatic lenses were solely offered in the PL-version.

Regards !

JB

Perl

Post by Perl »

NOPE

There are nothing as "Normal" Plan
Neoplan are about the Lens Pakage
in this type of lenses

Take it or leave it

Regards
Pär

Juergen Boschert

Post by Juergen Boschert »

Hi Pär,

I´m sorry, but you are not right. I´ve got the original Leitz booklet in front of me. In there are listed and explained all abbreviations the Leitz people have used during the "160 mm Era". And definitely, NPl means "normal plan", i.e., marks lenses, which have a flat-field correction for a field number of up to 20 ( as opposed to Pl lenses, which are corrected for the extra large field number of 28 ).

NPl also has nothing to do with colour correction, just with the extend of the correction of fiel curvature.

NeoPlan, by the way, was an expression never used by Leitz but by Reichert / Austria for their fluorit (semi-apochromatic) objectives. This label was intended to be analogous to Zeiss´Neofluars, the NeoPlans of Reichert additionally sporting a flat field of view.

Regards !

JB

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

:D :D What a classic thing for microscope nuts to argue over. :D

It would appear that Juergen is correct. after running down some old
manuals.

Perl

Post by Perl »

Hi

Yes - Agree that this is nothing to argue about

And i really dont care if its is this or that

Not have time to go in to manuals to look it up
but sure i seen Neoplans in Leitz paper somewere

Regards
Pär

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

I would have sworn the same thing but the papers I looked at did not have it.
At the ancient time in my memory that I was trying to recall I was working in a lab that had mainly Leitz equipment. But it was the late seventies.

Human testimony is not so reliable. :lol:

I won't Bump this as it's so old, but in Diavert instructions, page 13, NPl is Normal Plan
http://www.micromagus.net/Microdocs/diavert_manual.pdf

CR

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic