Workflow for sub-stacks

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Workflow for sub-stacks

Post by ChrisR »

I have just run a stack where the subject clearly has details grouped at different depths, lets say
A 1- 49 closest to the camera
B 50 - 99
C 100 -149
D 150 - 199
so there are 50 images in each layer.

The detail (hairs) at C is in the final image, confused with what's above.
I had previously run a stack of 100 - 149 which has this layer well enough imaged.
Having run the whole stack though. I'm concerned that the alignment will be different. If I remove all the files of A and B and D and rerun C, will Zerene realign the images in the frames I leave behind? Suppose I then add back the frames from say D, remove C and restack, will those in D be realigned?
If they're realigned (ie with respect to their own layer and not the whole lot) I think I'll get problems if I stack the output files later, won't I?

What I want to achieve is stereo where the layers are clearly in the right place, and not intermingled (though there's little depth within some of the layers). In other words I want All Of C behind A and B.

I realise that if I run part of the stack with stereo images being produced, I'll have to reduce the degree of "tilt" proportionately.

It's taken a couple of days to run so I don't want to get it wrong;)

Section as example:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The right way to do this is with Stack Selected. Be sure that all files are present but highlight only the ones you want to be included in the slab.

Do not remove files from the project or create a new project containing only the files you want. Either of those will probably change the alignment and will certainly waste time doing a re-alignment even if the result ends up correct.

I recommend to debug your workflow on a smaller project first.

--Rik

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Thanks - It's not something I'd thought about until I saw the result...

and I'd never noticed the menu item "partial stack") :roll: so the "Are you Sure?", prompt, worked :D

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Chris,

Which typeface did you use for the A, B,C indicators in your example?

I like it :wink:

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

ChrisR wrote:and I'd never noticed the menu item "partial stack") :roll: so the "Are you Sure?", prompt, worked :D
The reason that check got installed was to save me from my own mistakes. I'm glad to hear it's useful for other people too. :)

--Rik

morfa

Post by morfa »

rjlittlefield wrote:The reason that check got installed was to save me from my own mistakes. I'm glad to hear it's useful for other people too. :)
Yes, that one has saved me so much time and frustration!

On the topic of partial stacking I thought I'd share a quick (and perhaps fairly obvious) tip that I've found very useful:

If you make the partial stacks with some overlap (for instance: 1-50, 48-100, 98-150 etc) it's much easier to do the manual retouching since it takes away some of the demand for pixel precision with the brush tool.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

The font is Elaterida-murida Script.

The computer is now steaming at the top and dripping oil at the bottom.
Did you ever wish you'd spent more time preparing the specimen?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic