www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - A great documentary streaming service
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A great documentary streaming service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzffnn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: A great documentary streaming service Reply with quote

We just found a great nature/science/history/culture/travel documentary streaming service called Curiosity Stream.

I signed up today, watched a documentary about President Abraham Lincoln's life with my sons and we all love it VERY much. Only $20 PER YEAR for today (one can cancel anytime). I heard they don't have many National Geographic documentaries, but that Lincoln documentary was made by Nat Geo.

1080p HD content. View it (internet) on computer, on smartphone or smart TV (or connect TV to your computer).

Curiosity Stream told me I need 5-8 Mbps download to view movies smoothly. I tested my mid level (US) Comcast's speed and found it to be about 18Mbps (8:30PM) to 42 Mbps (11AM), which is more than enough to view 1080p HD (I viewed it at 8:30PM).

My TV is not 4K capable, so I did not test that. 4K subscription costs slightly more, but still very cheap. They only have documentaries, though they claim to have 2000 of them.

Strangely, last night I tried their free content before I signed up, streaming speed was so slow that 480p won't even play smoothly. But it could be an error on my internet connection (which can be corrected by restarting modem). Our viewing of 1080p HD today was perfect and never paused for a moment.

I am not associated with Curiosity Stream, but think forum members (naturalist, science geeks or history nerds) would probably like it too.

You can get a 7 day free trial, then select monthly subscription, then upgrade to annual subscription, if you want to be really safe. But $20 for a year is a great deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: