The flip side

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

elf

The flip side

Post by elf »

These have been dropping like, well, like flys in our heat wave :)

It is a 4 frame pano with approximately 150 images in each of the frames.

Here's a 100% crop that shows its incredible invisible legs. I was lucky to get the image before it disappeared altogether :^o

Olympus e330
El-Nikkor 60mm
f/5.6
Approximately 2.5X
Stacked with Zerene Stacker
Stitched with Microsoft ICE

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Love the detail, and the macabre mood, though I'd like to see more shadow detail.
When Rik adds "lighten" and "darken" modes to his retouch tool the legs will be easier to untangle!

ELNik 60mm?

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Makes a change to see a (deeply) stacked shot that looks 'normal'

Great job - I like it :)

(be great for a fly spray / insecticide ad?)

pp
Boxes, bottlebottoms, bits, bobs.

elf

Post by elf »

ChrisR wrote:Love the detail, and the macabre mood, though I'd like to see more shadow detail.
When Rik adds "lighten" and "darken" modes to his retouch tool the legs will be easier to untangle!

ELNik 60mm?
I would expect other focus stacking programs to have even more trouble stacking this one. There's just enough distance between the legs that portions of the back leg are equally as sharp as the front leg where they overlap. I'm not sure why the algorithym picks one over the other. Running the stack backwards didn't help. I expect the easiest way to fix it would be to run separate stacks for each leg.

I'll have to download the latest version, he may have already added the feature :)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

elf wrote:I'll have to download the latest version, he may have already added the feature :)
Nope, no changes in that area for the new version.

The best way at present to fix up transparent foreground is to use the "stack selected" feature to render the foreground things by themselves, then use the retouching tool to merge those portions into the full stack.

For PMax, selection of detail from one frame over another is done strictly on the basis of local contrast. Order doesn't matter.

Nice image -- very dark and macabre!

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic