Chrysoperla carnea

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

AndrewC

Chrysoperla carnea

Post by AndrewC »

Shot with a 80mm El-Nik, then Nikon 10x objective.
Stacked with ZS PMax

Eyeballs were cleaned using an electrostatically charged needle tip - just lifted the dirt right off !

I started with a black background but with the higher mag shots with a microscope objective I find that the oof areas give horrendous halos so I switched to a pastel colour.

I started with this subject really to see how ZS would cope with 4 layers of wings - no problems - then I saw the eyes ..... I've got one more shot at 20x but i've used my ration for today :cry:

Enjoy - constructive criticism welcome :)

Andrew

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Wow.. to all of them. :D

Graham46

Post by Graham46 »

Most impressive! Electrostatically charged needle tip... genius! Ive spent much more time using an eyelash. Very nice coping with the wings indeed.. and the eyes look terrific. You can even see the ROYGBIV pattern in them. Bravo \:D/
Semper cogitatio
Graham

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Graham46 wrote:...Electrostatically charged needle tip... genius! ..
Well fortuitous really, it is thundery weather here, I was wiping the needle on some nylon fabric to clean it and when I brought it near the dirt the particles just jumped off the eye and stuck to the needle - yeehah !

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

You know, you're getting good at this bug lark :lol:

Ok so HOW did you elecrostatically charge a needle :o !

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

ChrisR wrote:You know, you're getting good at this bug lark :lol:

Ok so HOW did you elecrostatically charge a needle :o !
2MV van de Graaff generator .... or serendipity - see above :)

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Ah - posts crossed.
It can't be a very high voltage if you were holding it, even through the cloth it would have decayed quite fast.

Definitely something worth investigating. I see quite a lot of spark ignition devices which produce plenty of volts, mostly piezo but some battery.
Easy enough to charge up say a small paintbrush with something like that and a capacitor?

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

ChrisR wrote:Ah - posts crossed.
It can't be a very high voltage if you were holding it, even through the cloth it would have decayed quite fast.

Definitely something worth investigating. I see quite a lot of spark ignition devices which produce plenty of volts, mostly piezo but some battery.
Easy enough to charge up say a small paintbrush with something like that and a capacitor?
You can buy sensor cleaning brushes that do something similar - they are basically a soft nylon brush that sits on a motor to spin it and charge it. www.visibledust.com

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

Andrew:

Excellent photos!

If the humidity is low enough, It's easy enough to build up a charge of over a thousand volts on your body. We have all experienced the old doorknob jolt in the wimter.

Rigging an old empty piezo lighter to a hand tool sounds like a worthwhile progect. The insulated handle of the tool could be made into a capacitor by wrapping it in aluminum foil.

Maybe I'll give it a try. Our grill lighter is nearly out of Butane anyway.

Once again, really fine photos!

Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic