Burdock hook

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

Burdock hook

Post by lauriek »

We've had a couple of Burdock threads recently but I've not seen anyone zoom in on a single hook - so I thought I should try!

With the 10x Nikon objective at full bellows extension for around 13:1. Stack of 36 images.

Btw. Regarding the three per day rule, when does a day start and end? It's past midnight here so I thought I could post another, sorry if I've overstepped!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Burdock hook

Post by rjlittlefield »

lauriek wrote:We've had a couple of Burdock threads recently but I've not seen anyone zoom in on a single hook - so I thought I should try!
Well shot! If this doesn't say "hook", I don't know what does!
when does a day start and end? It's past midnight here so I thought I could post another, sorry if I've overstepped!
You've done fine. Once upon a time the rule said "per 24 hour period". But when you look close, that version turns out to be a bit weird because to stay strictly legal you end up having to post later and later each day! So a while back we carefully re-worded the rule to say "calendar day", and we interpret that as permissively as we can. That way you can post three each day, day after day, without having to watch the clock like a kid waiting for school to let out. The purpose of the rule is just to prevent anybody from flooding the forum. The new version isn't quite as good as the old in that one respect, but overall it works better.

--Rik

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

No wonder I can't get these out of my socks!

Great shot.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Cool shot Laurie!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks guys! It certainly is very 'hookey'! :)

What this image doesn't show, and this is where that 3d depth map output from Helicon might be interesting - this appears to be a 2d curve from this stack, however the shape is actually a bit more complex than that. The 'stem' of the hook at the bottom of the frame is as close to perpendicular to the lens as I could get it. Looking at the slices from the stack, I can tell that it actually curves away from the lens as it approaches the tightest part of the curve, and then curves back towards the lens at the point. (I can imagine what's going on here is a bit like what happens to a piece of string when you twist it and it suddenly bunches in the middle and forms a loop with twists holding it together, do you know what I mean?).

rovebeetle

Post by rovebeetle »

Laurie, that's awesome!

Cheers
Harry

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

Beautiful shot, Laurie. It's easy to see why these things are the bane of dog and cat lovers.

I try to keep Burdock and other noxious plants like Garlic Mustard and Poison Ivy under control on my property.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic