Baron's Green Racer--Flirting?

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

Baron's Green Racer--Flirting?

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

I've posted these snakes here before, but they are very interesting critters, so Sunday when I did some photography (only the second time this winter!) I had to get some shots. Fortunately, they were doing something interesting. They seemed quite affectionate, and I suspect this is flirting behavior as the small male tries to stay close to the much larger female. Believe it or not, these are the same species!

This snake is poisonous, but it does not have front fangs like the classic vipers. It has enlarged rear teeth that help its venomous saliva get into its prey. This is mostly used on lizards, frogs, and birds in their South American tree homes. The snake will certainly bite humans if provoked, but their venom isn't very dangerous to us.

180mm macro, artificial light
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Dread

Post by Dread »

never tire of seeing your reptile shots Mike, lovely capture!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic