My workflow taking pictures

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyberspider

My workflow taking pictures

Post by Cyberspider »

i would write something about my technique to do macros.

First of all it is nessesary to use a tripod and a shutter release (IR or cable) in combination with the mirror lock up to avoiding vibrations of the mirror. I also use the aperature preview button to check the dof to isolate the insect. my tour startes befor sunrise, because the light is softer and the insects are very slow. i think sunrise and sunset are the best times to do macro!

later when the sun is higher i'm using a diffusor to soften the light or a reflector to lighten an insect.

This picture (security shot) is taken with the 400D and a tripod without diffusor:

the strong light hide details...

This is the same dragonfly taken with a diffusor:

the soft light shows more details...

i hope this helps you to get a good technique...
best regards
Markus

SONY a6000, Sigma 150mm 2,8 Makro HSM, Extention Tubes, Raynox DCR-250

visit me on flickr

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Great comparison, thanks!

Do you know the f-numbers and exposure times for these two pictures?

I ask because the second shot also appears to have a lot more DOF.

--Rik

Cyberspider

Post by Cyberspider »

Yes Rick,

your right...here the EXIF data:

Model = Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
Exposure Time = 1/200"
F Number = F5.6
ISO Speed Ratings = 200
Focal Length = 150mm

Exposure Time = 1/15"
F Number = F11
ISO Speed Ratings = 200
Focal Length = 150mm
best regards
Markus

visit me on flickr

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Interesting in a confusing way.
In the strong light, top image, I would have gone with f/11 and consequently a longer exposure.
In the diffused light, bottom image, I would have gone with F/5.6 and consequently shorter exposure.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Excellent, this info helps a lot.

Compared to f/5.6, stopping down to f/11 gives twice as much DOF. Normally f/11 would also require 4X longer exposure, turning 1/200 second into 1/50 second. But there is also some light loss from the diffuser, requiring additional 3X longer exposure, to 1/16 second.

The diffuser and the smaller aperture work very well with this subject, which obviously was pretty quiet.

It's interesting to note that the subject is not completely still. The dragonfly rotated its head a bit between the two shots. I cannot see this by looking back and forth between the two images in a browser. But I tried layering and aligning the two images in Photoshop, and then clicking between them made the movement obvious.

This is a good example of grabbing a quick "security shot" to cover the case that the insect decides to leave before the photographer gets done setting up a better shot. For the security shot, 1/200 second might be safer in case the subject is moving a bit.

Markus, one comment about English usage. It is common in many places that double-quote means second, as in 1/200" = 0.005 second. But that usage can be confusing to U.S. readers, because double-quote also means inch, 12" = 1 foot. Where space allows, it is better to spell out "seconds" or "second", or abbreviate to "sec".

--Rik

There is no "c" in "Rik", by the way. It is a non-standard spelling of the usual nickname for "Richard", but I have used "Rik" for almost 40 years now and it is how I am known to the Web. At this time, if you Google for "Rik Littlefield", almost everything you get is about me. I am not the fellow in Atlanta who has the Facebook entry and does real-estate financing. He is the one other person I know who uses the same name.

mgoodm3

Post by mgoodm3 »

My preference would be between the two images with a moderate amount of diffusion. The diffusion picture loses a little too much contrast.

Cyberspider

Post by Cyberspider »

that's right but contrast is easier to increase as soften the hard light...
best regards
Markus

visit me on flickr

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic