Dead Bug Photography - 2nd Image added

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

Dead Bug Photography - 2nd Image added

Post by NikonUser »

I have just converted an Omega B-600 Enlarger into a copy stand that allows me to mount my camera and bellows in a vertical orientation. I find that this orientation has several advantages over using my set-up horizontally. Perhaps the most useful for me is that laterally flattened specimens such as some flies do not have to be pinned but can be laid flat on a piece of glass that is raised from the background.
For side view of an insect using a pin for support (DaveW's "stick shot")
SEE HERE ON PAGE 2
With camera/bellows horizontal, this is how insects have to be mounted

Below is a 5mm Long-legged Fly (Fam: Dolichopodidae) lying on a glass plate, camera and bellows vertical; no pin! The Nikon MFU
IN THIS IMAGE was used in a vertical position, i.e., stood on its left end so that the moveable 'piece' was horizontal. The glass plate and fly rested there.

Blotchy eye is because this fly was collected on 22viii08, kept frozen, thawed and photographed 2xi08. Insert: full frame HF stack.
Nikon El-Nikkor 50/2.8 @ f5.6, 140mm bellows. Single flash. 16 frames @ 0.1mm HF 4.1.

Last edited by NikonUser on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Looks good, NU.

I notice that the inset image is much more drab than the enlargement. It looks like the enlargement has had some levels adjustment resulting in higher contrast and brighter colors.

I think you're interested in these photos for scientific purposes, and I'm curious --- what are your thoughts regarding color accuracy for such applications?

--Rik

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Colours may be a little bright. I tend to underexpose the original frames otherwise the highlights get blown out, also the original frames are RAW with no sharpening and always come out a lot flatter than the actual specimen. The final image has had a levels correction, colour balance to bring the gray background back to neutral, some curve adjustment, some USM. Remember also that this fly has been dead for over 2 months and colours tend to fade even when frozen. I try to reproduce the fly as it appeared in the wild in sunlight. These are colouful metallic flies, take at look at this one (not the same species):
HERE

Botton line: I believe the final image is more represenative of this species when seen in bright sunlight (whatever it is; it's very abundant in my garden) than the inset image.
NU.
student of entomology
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Perhaps I did go a little overboard with image enhancement especially as this is meant to be a technique discussion rather than a Diptera ID essay.
This following image is straight out of HF 4.1 with no manipulation except,
in Photoshop CS2:
1]Rotation: flip canvas horizontal (I like my bugs to look as if they are going forward, not looking back to see where they have been; only applies to cultures that read left to right)
2] Resize (resample) from 4,288 px wide .tif, 16 bits/channel, in Adobe RGB, to 800px; PSD gives options, I chose Bicubic Sharper
3]Edit>Convert to Profile>sRGB, Relative Colometric, Black Point Compensation checked
4] Save for Web, at 100% quality. Image went to an 8 bits/channel .jpg.
5]Saved on a flash drive and moved from 1 computer to my e-mail/internet computer.

No other treatment.

NU.
student of entomology

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

The darker image is more comfortable to view.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

I agree, Harold. I actually prefer it to that 1st image and it is certainly a lot quicker and easier to post than having to 'play around' with all those adjustment layers. I think I may have a new workflow.
NU.
student of entomology

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic