New Canadian member

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

willmilne

New Canadian member

Post by willmilne »

Hi

I have been lurking and pinching advice for a couple of weeks and thought it was about time I joined the fray:).

Based in Winnipeg Manitoba and doing mainly fly fishing related work at the moment.

Some examples here-

http://www.watersidemb.ca/phento1.html

Just started into stacked work with a D200/PB6/reversed El Nikkor 50 f2.8( from pinched advice hereabouts and I like IT!!!) combo .

First try-

5 Image stack of an Ephemera Simulans - Burrowing Mayfly Nymph.

Hoping to learn lots as this interest settles into another addiction:)

Will

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Welcome to the forum Will.

I've been looking over the sample images at the link you provided. Superb photography!

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

A second welcome aboard, Will! :D

I agree with Craig -- very impressive work at your web site. I particularly like this shot of a backswimmer: http://www.watersidemb.ca/kirby2.html . Aquarium work, I presume?

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Those images makes one want to grab their 2wt. SLT and head for one of the streams around here! Love those Mayflies, Stone flies and Caddis! Heck I liked all of them. Anyway let me add my two cents and say welcome aboard also. You have given me an idea as to how to spend my day off, thanks! :D

willmilne

Post by willmilne »

Hi

Thanks for the kind words of welcome- I look forward to participating.

Ken- seems we have mutual interest - do you do any fly fishing related macro work?

Willl

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Will asked:
Ken- seems we have mutual interest - do you do any fly fishing related macro work?
Can't say as I do there Will. Though at one time it did cross my mind to do some fly fishing photography but not necessarily macro. Benthos, macroinvertebrates or whatever one wishes to call them are intriguing but I have to travel some distance just to cast a loop, well though hunker down over a Mayfly nymph with a macro lens.

However the study of acquatic macroinvertebrates as indicator species in the mountain streams of Western North Carolina, suggests that some really extensive research into our mountain environment could be done, especially in the high altitude streams where acid fog and rain are oftentimes present.

I will be retiring here in a few more years and one of my desires is to do somthing along that line as an amateur, while my other ambition is to return to school, plus move closer to the mountain environment that I enjoy so much. :D

willmilne

Post by willmilne »

Rik-

glad you enjoyed the Backswimmer image- yep I have a custom built 4x6x2" tank with a recirculating water flow system - so the bugs can stay in there without being stressed over lack of oxygen/flow. The other setup I use is 3x2x 0.75 " micro tanks I use on the riverbank/lakeshore if I feel I don't want to bring things home. I'm slowly growing more interested in the behavioural life of aquatic macro invertebrate photography versus specimen shots, but that is a slow process.

Will

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Will,

It's good to see you here.

I had a quick look at your website and added it to my Favorites for a more leisurely look later.

The burrowing nymph instantly reminds me of a mole cricket, an example of some degree on convergent evolution.

Harold.
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic