Fall Fruit -2 - Mountain-Ash

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

Fall Fruit -2 - Mountain-Ash

Post by NikonUser »

European Mountain-Ash (Sorbus aucuparia). Widely planted in NA. Individual fruits 10-12mm diameter in slightly convex clusters (close-up of a few of the 57 in this cluster). A favourite food of American Robins at this time of year and if any remain they will attract Bohemian Waxwings in Winter.
9x08. AF 105mm Micro Nikkor, f8, stack of 10 with HF 4.1

EDIT: title changed
Last edited by NikonUser on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Very nice,used to have a Rowan in my mom's garden,must get another! The autumn foliage is worth a look at too!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Having never seen them in close-up before, I at first thought they were crab apples.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Harold Gough wrote:Having never seen them in close-up before, I at first thought they were crab apples.

Harold
Know what you mean. Thats the beauty of close up work. They do look good enough to eat tho,and I do believe some do use them to make jam with(jelly in the US?)
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Yes, also known as the Mountain Ash Sorbus acuparia, the berries are used to make a jelly, crab apples being the recommended source of pectin. Even so, the species in known locally, in NW England as "Poison-Berries".

Some Rowan lore:

http://england.prm.ox.ac.uk/englishness ... -tree.html

http://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/mount_ash.htm

Harold
Last edited by Harold Gough on Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Yea there's also a bit of folklore associated with this tree. It is often known as the Devil or Witch Tree as it is believed, like Yew,to keep evil spirits at bay.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic