Greenbottle Fly - 2nd image added

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

Greenbottle Fly - 2nd image added

Post by NikonUser »

This is Lucilia sericata. length 8.5mm, one of several spp. of green- blue-bottles in the Holarctic. Live, posed specimen.
Note the number of setae on the thorax and compare with those on lauriek's fly HERE.
The number and arrangement are useful for species ID.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of this image is that it is a single photo using Nikon's AF 105mm Micro Nikkor set at its minimum aperture of f/32 with an added 4T close-up lens. Small aperture used to get greatest DOF but I am surprised at the resolution. At f/8 this lens will easily differentiate individual eye facets but DOF is so limited that stacking of many exposures is needed; live flies rarely (never) stay still long enough to get multiple shots.
Although the lens was set at f/32, the Exif data shows an aperture of f/51.
Cropped to about 60% of the full width of original.
Last edited by NikonUser on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Why would it report a different aperture? Are Nikon cameras clever enough to work out the effective aperture including built in extension on the lens? (Pretty cool if so!)

Nice shot, I would imagine that's about as good as you can do for an ID from a single shot of a fly! I've never actually tried to ID these sorts of flies right down to the species level. Do you have literature/keys to do so? (If so do you mind posting some info about those?)

Incidentally you know with those good quality doublet diopters you can stack a couple of them if you need a little more magnification, with virtually no loss of IQ. (I used to regularly stack a 5T, a 6T and a good Olympus doublet to get up to around 1:1 on a prosumer digicam).

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

lauriek wrote:Why would it report a different aperture? Are Nikon cameras clever enough to work out the effective aperture including built in extension on the lens?
Yes, but as I understand it, only with certain models of cameras and lenses. It's another one of the wrinkles in trying to make sense of the numbers in this field. You get an image that says f/16 -- what does that really mean??

--Rik

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

A warning: these green species frequent fresh dung! Beware of contamination.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

lauriek wrote: Do you have literature/keys to do so? (If so do you mind posting some info about those?).
I have only a key to the NA species; but there must be some keys for the UK species.
The standard text for Europe is Rognes, K. 1991. Blowflies (Diptera: Calliphoridae) of Fennoscandia and Denmark. E.J. Brill/Scandinnavian Science Ltd., 272 pp.

P_T

Post by P_T »

That is a deep DOF and the image is very sharp as well. Do these flies come in other colours? I found quite a large fly only it was light blue in colour with no hint of any green hue.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Very nice image. Theyre just too cool to swat!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

P_T wrote: Do these flies come in other colours? I found quite a large fly only it was light blue in colour with no hint of any green hue.
In North America, Blowflies (family Calliphoridae) can be shining metallic blue, green or bronze; some appear black and others are checker-board grey. In the genus Lucilia there are bluebottles, greenbottles, and I guess bronzebottles.
Don't know what you have in Australia.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

We have the same colour collection here, although I've never heard the bronze ones referred to as bronzebottles! ;) I'd always called those ones greenbottles strangely!

All of them are actually really handsome flies. Shame about their habits!

Thanks for the reference!

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Excellent photo of a beautiful fly. What do you mean by a "posed live specimen" :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

beetleman wrote:Excellent photo of a beautiful fly. What do you mean by a "posed live specimen" :wink:
Has it finally happened? Do we now have professional macro models? :o

Harold

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

beetleman wrote:Excellent photo of a beautiful fly. What do you mean by a "posed live specimen" :wink:
Perhaps "posed" is a poor choice. I consider "posed" to be when the subject has been moved; either moved from its environment or moved in its environment.

This fly was collected and photographed in a container. Thus it was alive, and healthy, but restrained.

If you took a photo of, say, a pine cone in its natural habitat but you moved it an inch or two for a better background then I would call that posed.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

lauriek wrote: I would imagine that's about as good as you can do for an ID from a single shot of a fly!
One really needs 2 shots for a positive ID; the dorsal as above and a lateral:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

This second image is even better than the first. :smt023 It is very difficult to get this lateral viewpoint with a unrestrained fly.
This fly was collected and photographed in a container
Of course this begs to be asked, "What kind of a container?"

Did you have to make one out of high quality glass, or were you able to buy something suitable, or... ?

--Rik

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

NikonUser wrote:
Perhaps "posed" is a poor choice. I consider "posed" to be when the subject has been moved; either moved from its environment or moved in its environment.

This fly was collected and photographed in a container. Thus it was alive, and healthy, but restrained.

If you took a photo of, say, a pine cone in its natural habitat but you moved it an inch or two for a better background then I would call that posed.
How about "re-positioned" and "relocated"? The term "arena", used for small containers, often open-topped, used for observation of small creatures, could also be used.

Harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic