www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Bay of Fundy I
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bay of Fundy I

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Favorite Locations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike B in OKlahoma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Bay of Fundy I Reply with quote

I visited Grand Manan on the Atlantic Coast of Canada last week, and spent one day whalewatching. The viewing highlight was a mating frenzy (for lack of a better word) of Right Whales, with a mass of males competing to try to get a female excited. One of the staff claimed there were eighteen whales present. I'd have guessed about ten, but it was hard to tell since most of the action was under the surface. I haven't found a shot of the mob that I feel good enough about to post, but got several less complicated shots. All taken with EOS 40D and 100-400L lens.

Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must have been a nice trip, Mike!
The Bay of Fundy is even known over here quite well for its enormous tidal range, one of the largest on the planet.

Initially, when looking at your first picture only, without having read the text, I thought of a rock formation with some algae growing atop, but then of course I realized it´s the Right whale´s upper head with the arched mouth.
We only occasionally see large baleen whales at our German coasts, unless one loses his way. This was the case a couple of weeks ago when a younger fin whale took the wrong "exit", perhaps following a swarm of fish, and swam via North Sea, Skagerrak and Kattegat and then through Öresund or one of The Belts into the Baltic Sea. Fortunately, after some weeks this animal found its way back out again.

I think I would have enjoyed being on that boat too. I am looking forward to seeing your no. II. Very Happy

Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome first photo there Mike and thanks to Betty for expounding up on it, since the only fish or whatever I am acquainted with, are bluegill and trout. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Favorite Locations All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: