Ciliate

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick an image made through a microscope from the "Photography Through the Microscope Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.amateurmicrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Wim van Egmond

Ciliate

Post by Wim van Egmond »

A ciliate, I think it is Urostyla, but I am not sure if I can trust my old book. :) This one was tasting a cyanobacterium but eventually did not eat it. It probably preferred Desmids. The second image is a crop from image 1 to show the membranelle.

Wim

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Wonderful images, Wim!
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Martin Kreutz

Post by Martin Kreutz »

Hi Wim,

it's my first posting in this forum. I saw your excellent images of your ciliate. I'm very sure that this is not Urostyla but Paraurostyla weissei. The ID is basing on the yellowish granules lying in groups and rows beneath the pellicle. You can see them on your first image. Additionally I've attched one of my images (arrows = granules).

Martin

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Martin, welcome aboard! :D

I believe that Wim is traveling right now, so it may be a while before he is able to respond to your post. But I am sure he will appreciate the ID and associated image.

By the way, many of us are very appreciative of your publication, "The Sphagnum Ponds of Simmelried..."

If you have other images to share, we would be very happy to host or display them at photomacrography.net, or to receive links to wherever else you have material posted.

Best regards,
--Rik

Martin Kreutz

Post by Martin Kreutz »

Hi Rik,

thank you for the warm welcome! I will try to post images of my latest findings and to support the forum with my experience in identification of protists.

Martin

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Hello Martin,

Thank you for the ID and I am looking forward to your posts in the forum! You make wonderful images.

best regards,

Wim

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

Wim;

You have a beautiful series, here. The one seleced for the October home page was an excellent choice. Keep on inspiring us!

Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic