Some Hummingbirds Of Costa Rica

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

Some Hummingbirds Of Costa Rica

Post by beetleman »

Well, I did not fall off the face of the earth. I have been very busy with life in general and I have not had much time to devote to my favorite nature forum. I do look at everyones wonderful pictures but I have not had much time to comment on them. I did get to go to Costa Rica Three weeks ago. My wife was born there and moved to the USA when she was one year old. Her parents moved back when they retired, so all of her family lives there. I could only stay a week (now I have to catch up with a week worth of missed work) she is staying for a month (she made me leave my camera :cry: ) One store on the side of the hiway had a deck overlooking a huge waterfall and they also had five hummingbird feeders. It was incredible. I have never seen so many humming birds in one place and so close up. They would perch in a tree right off the deck (about 10" away) So, I brought out my 70-300mm IS lens and got as close as possible. Here are three photos from the shoot. A few things I learned from photographing in the rainforest...bring a tripod and I need to learn how to use my flash. I missed a lot of great shots because I could not hold the camera and macro still with my hands and i did not know how to use my flash to take photos in the dark forest. the birds are very small. The purple one is the largest of the three and it was only about 5" long. So I think these will count as closeup. There is a book on Amazon.com called "Hummingbirds of Costa Rica" (which I Will order soon), it features 44 of the 45 species of hummers that inhabit Costa Rica. (The Plain-capped starthroat, the missing species, lives only in the highest treetops. The authors have never encountered one at a height low enough to photograph.) I will tell you one thing, They do not stay in one place too long :wink: .

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

These are some fantastic little birds there Doug. :smt023 I suppose 5" would be considered close up. Wonderful colors and details. I am assuming that it was nice to get away from the grind for a while and see something different. A lot of folks are grabbing that late summer vacation time. :D

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Ah, there you have been, Doug! Lovely birds, true diamonds of the forest. And these shades of green and the subdued light convey the rainforest mood very well. That must have been a great trip!

I myself have a Tica-of-German-descent auntie with family living in San José, but haven´t accepted her invitations to visit yet. After school the costs for the flight were so much money I didn´t want to spend (darn, maybe I should have!) and during the last years we haven´t been able to find a period of free time long enough (meaning at least 4 weeks) to go there. And for 1 or 2 weeks it isn´t worth the expenses from over here . But CR is definitely on my list of places to see before you die.

If you have them, show us more photos of Cost Rica, please! How about some landscape pictures over in the favourite places section? ( insert that stolen from Rik sitting-on-hind-legs-front-paws-raised-tongue-out-begging-puppy icon) :wink: :D

--Betty

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Lovely shots Doug, but I'm devastated you didn't camp up a tree to capture the elusive Plain-capped starthroat for us!! ;)

I second the request for more Cost Rica photos!

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Gorgeous birds and images. It might not be a good idea to get much closer - those beaks have a long reach!

The point about low light in warm countries applies generally. Last month I was in Corsica for two weeks, mainly taking photographs. Some blog or website, which I had consulted in my pre-trip research, confidently recommended that ISO 100 film was more than adequate. From years of travelling experience I knew that not to be the case. Even so, I was caught off-guard by a tortoise sanctaury being, in parts, the shadiest place I took my camera.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic