Carpenter Bee

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Carpenter Bee

Post by Ken Ramos »

I have probably seen these before but never had given them much thought but I was out at Linville Falls last weekend photographing, well just about anything but mainly some Bumble Bees when this thing came along. :roll:

Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling »

This is actually a Megachilid, leaf cutter bee. Cant remember the species though. Neat bee.

P_T

Post by P_T »

That's gotta be hard to take photo of, Ken... black against bright yellow like that. Looks like a badass bee too!!

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

That was a hard photo(s) to take. I tried several times while the bee hung out on the flower and then picked the best couple out of the bunch and still had to fool around in the software to get some details.

I got my ID from BugGuide. Seems that searching was in vain if this is not a Carpenter Bee as was referenced by the site :( Most everyone knows how long it takes to ID something there if you begin without a clue looking for something. Luckly for me I just searched for "Bumble Bee" and up it came. :lol:

Thanks guys :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

ID'ing stuff from photos can be really hard in any case. To my eye, the critter shown in Ken's post looks just like the "Southern Carpenter Bee" shown on this page in BugGuide. I don't have any references with me that would say how to tell these guys apart, so about all I can offer is sympathy. Ya' got my sympathy, Ken!

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Rik :lol:

Gordon C. Snelling

It can be dreadfully difficult, however for me the shape of the abdomen and head and the presence of the abdominal hairs use by megachilids to collect pollen give it away. The hairs in question are visible as the the grayish hairs visible along the edge of the abdomen.

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Very cool combination of colors, well-done Ken!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

That is a tough one, well spotted from Gordon! You got my sympathy too, Ken.

I am not familiar with the North American apifauna but you have possibly photographed Megachile xylocopoides here. The species' name indicates its close resemblance to Xylocopa and it is said to occur in NC.

--Betty

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

All this sympathy is quite touching, thanks! :D Usually when I am all wet, I am made to sleep on the porch. :lol: However the info I am gleening from all this is really cool. :D

Thanks guys :D

Gordon C. Snelling

I think Betty got it. Good Job.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic