Watson Bactil set up for use with upright specimens

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Watson Bactil set up for use with upright specimens

Post by gpmatthews »

I set up my Bactil in this configuration today to enable me to take pictures of an aquarium slide in the upright poistion. I intend to use the setup for images where the orientation is important, such as movies in aquarium slides. I thought members might find it interesting.

The lighting is an LED in the Watson substage lamp assembly with a Watson macro condenser in the substage. Objectives fitted are all low power. Max is a 10/0.3 Watson parachromat (achromat).

The fibre optic strapped to the Zarf adapter is to allow flash to be used - so far not very successfully. The other end is attached to the magnifier stand next to the 'scope in order to give incident flash.

First images can be seen at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=5532
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

Graham,
Very nice looking and thoughtful setup.
I like that very nice looking ball socket vise giving the Bactil a little "emotional support"

What you are trying with the flash is clever.

I discovered for myself, rather rudely, that often for use with the microscope, point and shoots, and/or prosumer cameras with their smaller chips are better on low mag microscopes than cameras with bigger chips.

Similar set ups are used for gemology where it is advantageous to immerse the stone. Immersion facilitates seeing inside. If you do it on a regular stereo the surface waviness of the immersion liquid distorts the image. Better to shoot through the optical glass of a cell using an inverted or horizontal scope.

Thank you for sharing.

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Without the "emotional support" the stand is very close to tipping over, so I used a plastic jawed ball jointed vice to give support. The result seems very stable. Many more recent stands do not have the horizontal option of the Bactil, although the fine focus seems to cease to function when horizontal (not an issue when using low power).
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

The fine focus on a stand like that probably depends on gravity.
You could restore it by strapping a spring arrangement to pull it towards the foot end. Maybe some fat rubber bands. Or just push it when you want to use the fine focus.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic