Warnham LNR Demoiselles

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

doktorstamp

Warnham LNR Demoiselles

Post by doktorstamp »

On yet another excursion to the site with Graham these were spotted flying around close to one of the streams which keeps the Mill Pond full.

Canon EOS 3 with 800mm lens handheld
F5.6
1/250
ISO 400
Polariser (which I should have removed to increase the speed, but forgot in my eagerness to get the shot) Image

They were about 3 metres from the bridge on which we were standing.

regards

Nigel

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Well, if you're using the 800mm lens that I'm thinking about - ie that used by cricket (and presumably other sports/ bird photogs) - the f5.6(?) monster weighing 1/2 ton (and costing several arms / legs) ... then this is an amazing shot, hand held :)

pp
Boxes, bottlebottoms, bits, bobs.

doktorstamp

Post by doktorstamp »

Paul

I should have said 800mm focal length achieved with a 400mm and 2x teleconvertor.

But you are right even this is still a lump to lug around for this kind of work.

regards

Nigel

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I think you would do better Nigel with a proper macro lens or extension tubes and a closer approach, rather than trying to photograph insects "from across the field" with a large telephoto. With any very long focal length lens the quality of the image declines the longer the focal length, meaning the further you are away and the more turbulent atmosphere you have between you and the subject, plus you often need to use higher ISO's with obvious loss of quality in order to be able to hand hold longer focal lengths.

I am afraid on my screen nothing is sharp with this combination, and the problem with teleconverters is they magnify any faults in the prime lens that may not be visible when it is used alone and so are really no match for a prime lens of the same focal length as the combination.

Nice try, but I think the very long lens for macro work is a "blind alley" you are going down. Try a shorter focal length and get used to stalking your subjects.

All the best in your attempts anyway, you have certainly discovered some interesting subjects. My comments are intended to be helpful, not just critical.

DaveW

doktorstamp

Post by doktorstamp »

@
Dave

I use the long lens where I can´t get closer to the subject.´This was taken from the raised wooden walkway that traverses the top of the mill pond and the small rivers that feed it. Stepping off to get closer is not an option unforetunately.

kind regards

Nigel

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Nigel - wondering which of the 3 Canon 400mm options you're using ... presumably the f5.6 one as the other 2 also fit into 'used car' category?

Anyway all things considered, HH and low shutter speed used - without easy iso change option as with digital, then a v.good effort.

Have you considered a monopod (doubling as a 'walking stick'?) for such occasions?

pp
Boxes, bottlebottoms, bits, bobs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic