www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Hanging on!
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hanging on!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveW

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Hanging on! Reply with quote

Hanging on by it's finger nails!

DaveW
DaveW

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A biologist on another forum has identified it for me:-

"An attractive-looking fly (to my eyes at least), but a pest. It's Merodon equestris, tha narcissus fly or bulb fly, a fairly serious horticultural pest. The larva lives inside the bulbs of narcissi, daffodils and other plants.

Like some other hover flies its a bee mimic. It has different colour forms which resemble different species of bumble bee."

DaveW
Danny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good shot Dave and yep those feet are sticky for sure. Very Happy We have a similar one here that tries to mimic a bumble bee. Very similar mate.

All the best in the UK, maybe cut back on the brightness a fraction and boost the contrast Dave. Mind you, that could just be my gamma as well.

Danny.
DaveW

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was told it was a bit bright. One of the main troubles as well is they will land on my Golden Privet hedge which is really glaring in full sun rather than a neutral background and I think it does cause a bit of flare from the reflection of the sun off the bright yellow leaf directly into the lens.

DaveW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: