Housefly Proboscis

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick an image made through a microscope from the "Photography Through the Microscope Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.amateurmicrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike

Housefly Proboscis

Post by Mike »

Hello all,

Finally getting back into microscopy and mostly settled on using my Nikon D200 mounted on the Orthoplan using a Nikon UFX II Camera adapter with custom mount. The relay lens I'm using is a Nikon HK 2.5X, objective Leitz Pl 10X.

All exposures are controlled by flash duration as set on a decade resistance box. The shutter used is in the UFX camera adapter and I modified the UFX controller to trip the flash synched with the shutter.

This is a 46 shot stack made with Combine ZM and slight post processing with Paint Shop Pro X2.

All the best,
Mike
"Nil satis nisi optimum"

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

So that is what the sucker looks like! :wink: Pretty cool shot there Mike, nice stacking too, really great details. 8)

discomorphella

Post by discomorphella »

Hi Mike--

That's great, best use of a housefly I've ever seen....I want to try a mosquito proboscis the same way someday. Is this a squash preparation?What medium did you mount the fly snout in?

Regards,

--David

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hello Ken & David,

Thanks for the comments.

Yep, pretty ugly anyway you look at it, but presents a lot of detail on different planes to test the various stacking programs.

This is actually a cheap Chinese mount, appears to be a squash using either a Meltmount of something similar.

All the best,
Mike
"Nil satis nisi optimum"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic