The Great Catesby's

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

The Great Catesby's

Post by Ken Ramos »

Catesby's Trillium
Canon EOS 20D
Manual mode, hand held
1/125 sec. @ f/5.6 ISO 100
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Canon 430EX Speedlite ETTL @ -1/3, off camera w/Novoflex bracket
PP: Photo Impact 6 :D

There are about seven different distinct species of trillium in the southern Appalachians, some of them are called by the common name "wake robin." They seem to like the shade and being near water. This one was photographed along the banks of Curtis Creek in McDowell County, North Carolina. The nodding flowers have three white petals to begin with and then turning pink to maroon with age, as can be seen in this one here where the petals are beginning to take on a pink appearance. Most of the ones I found were around 6" in height. :D

nto

Post by nto »

Ken , Beautiful light!!!
Antonio

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Antonio :D They are beautiful flowering plants and there are quite a number of species of them here in North Carolina. If I am not mistaken, some of them are protected by law. :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

The ones I have seen here in NH are more reddish purple and they are large. The flower is around 6" wide and the plant is 12" high. You captured the white very nicely Ken.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Doug replied:
The ones I have seen here in NH are more reddish purple and they are large. The flower is around 6" wide and the plant is 12" high.
As they become older the flowers do take on color, some pink to red, others purple. Thanks Doug :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic