A Choanoflagellate and Lacrymaria

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dy5

A Choanoflagellate and Lacrymaria

Post by dy5 »

A couple of photos of creatures living in my neighbor's backyard pond.

The first is a group of choanoflagellates, possibly Salpingoeca sp., sitting on a spherical algae, Golenkinia sp. (I think). A quick bit of research turned up that the choanoflagellates share a common ancestor with all multi-cellular creatures making them well-studied by evolutionary biologists. If anyone's interested, there's basic information here: https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fu ... 05)00142-9 The creatures are very common, but I hadn't noticed them until they started showing up sitting on the algae spheres. Is it weird that I think they are really cute?
Choanoflagellates 3-1.jpg
The second image is from my first encounter with Lacrymaria. There are fascinating videos of this creature, including the award-winning video by Charles Krebs. However, they are even more spectacular and bizarre in person. Given the animal's thrashing around, it was sheer luck to get a frame with the mouth and almost all of the neck in focus.
Lacrimaria copy 3.jpg
Both photos taken with DIC and high-speed flash.

dy5

Re: A Choanoflagellate and Lacrymaria

Post by dy5 »

Adding a photo to show the length of the choanaflagellate flagellum (hence the odd orientation). Also this one had just ingested its lunch.
Attachments
Choanoflagellate long flag.jpg

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

These are lovely!

--Rik

dy5

Post by dy5 »

Thanks!