Ha, Cha, Cha, Cha...is everybody happy?

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Ha, Cha, Cha, Cha...is everybody happy?

Post by Ken Ramos »

Heal-All/Self-Heal
EOS 20D
Manual Mode
1/250 sec. @ f/14 & 10 ISO 100
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Canon 430EX ETTL Speedlite @ -1 off camera, Novoflex bracket
Post Processing: Photo Impact 6
NR = Neat Image Demo

JoanYoung

Post by JoanYoung »

Spring has sprung. :lol: Great shots Ken!!
Joan Young

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Spring is here for you--On the other hand in Oklahoma, we had a minor ice storm last weekend!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

In my best Elvis, "thank you, thank you very much." :lol: Though these tiny flowers may be laughing or seem to be, it is still February and still winter but however, we here in the south are getting there. Thanks again Mike and Joan. :D

Danny

Post by Danny »

LOL, you crack me up M8t :D . Great title and a heck of a decent shot there Ken. I love this perspective and the way DOF slowly falls off. Always appeals this view.

All the best and thanks for the smiles............cha------cha-----cha

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Thanks Danny, the last shot also reminds me of a trio of flowers singing. These are very common place around here and are among some of the first pre-spring flowers to arrive. :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Beautiful photos Ken. I love the way flowers are Structured sometimes. Like the spiky head (would not want to land there) and the two convenient landing pads out front. Do you think bugs know they get manipulated by the flowers?
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Doug commented:
Do you think bugs know they get manipulated by the flowers?
Could be Doug, seems the more I look into things the dumber I feel, bugs seem to know more than us humans sometimes I think :lol:

Thanks Doug :D

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Great shots there, some kind of Deadnetttle, ##### or Bugle?
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Naw, these are "Heal-All or Self-Heal." They are among some of what I call pre-spring flowers, that seem to crop up in late winter. Quite small actually. :D

Thanks Cyclops! :D

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Ah,self heal(Prunella?) Related to bugle and dead nettle(Labiatae)
See it censored one of my words there! I put in w hore hound which is a similar wild plant over here with hairy smelly leaves and it didn't like it!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Cyclops wrote:See it censored one of my words there! I put in w hore hound which is a similar wild plant over here with hairy smelly leaves and it didn't like it!
This probably explains the table named "words" that I've been seeing in my backups of the forum software. :shock:

I was wondering how that got used!

BTW, I think the usual spelling is one word: "hoarhound". Google prefers that spelling 230,000 to 11,800.

--Rik
Last edited by rjlittlefield on Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

rjlittlefield wrote: This probably explains the table named "words" that I've been seeing in my backups of the forum software. :shock:

I was wondering how that got used!

--Rik
Funny thing is, I can understand it censoring wh *re(excuse me here) but if combined with another word, in this case hound, surely it should ignore it, so that Wh*rehound should stand as a word.
another example i found on another site was use of the word for a male chicken which used on its own would get the #### treatment but when pluralised or used part of a word would get thru, strange!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

It's obviously a deliberate choice. The software allows wildcards, and this forum's database contains patterns that make the software reject those five letters by themselves, and any other word that either begins or ends with them. A few other words get the same treatment.

I have no idea where the list of words comes from. The table is empty in the current standard distribution of the phpBB software. The table in our forum database contains 16 base words, a total of 34 patterns. I can see how all of the words in the table could be considered objectionable, but even with my distinctly limited vocabulary in this area O:) , I can think of a bunch of others that aren't in the table. Besides which, the censoring is easily defeated using a variety of techniques that we've all seen in spam email.

I also have no idea how often the table serves its intended purpose. It's been very useful to me, though -- because it's the last table in the file, I've been using one of the bad words as a handy marker for successful completion of database backups! :lol:

Ken, I just noticed yesterday that one of the flowerpots at the local university has a couple of flowers like this peeping around the dry brown remains of last year's greenery. Apparently they like early spring everywhere!

--Rik

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Ken uttered:
Ha, Cha, Cha, Cha...
Bless ya, Sir Kenneth!

Got hay fever already?
This time not tickled pink, but tickled on the nose, methinks!
Well, one should not poke one´s nose too deep into the lawn when photographing little flowers, eh!? :wink: :wink: :wink: :D

All kiddin' aside.
It is a beautiful flower indeed, almost on par with an orchid. But this is only revealed when magnified, as you´ve done with this nice photomacrograph here, Ken.

--Betty O:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic