www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Corrected tube lens for Leica infinity corrected objectives
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Corrected tube lens for Leica infinity corrected objectives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:49 am    Post subject: Corrected tube lens for Leica infinity corrected objectives Reply with quote

Hi

I've been looking at a Leica infinity corrected objective. I understand that Leica corrects for transverse chromatic aberration and astigmatism in the tube lens. I suspect that the CA could be corrected fairly easily in software, but I don't think that the astigmatism would be easy to remove. I don't want to buy a whole Leica infinity corrected microscope just to use one objective. Is it possible to buy just the correct tube lens? I haven't been able to find a part number/code.

Thor labs sell tube lenses which they claim to be Leica compatible, but I'm pretty sure that they don't offer the correct correction as they also say they are suitable for other brands of objective. I was planning on using the objective with a Raynox or a camera lens, unless I can find the correct tube lens. I worked in an optics lab a while ago, and we had a few Leica objectives which we swapped around with other brands - however, image quality wasn't really a priority and the camera used had a very small sensor so probably didn't see the field edge effects. For that, we used regular doublets.

The objective is a 20x LL 0.4, which I understand (I might be mistaken) has a 30mm WD and is not coverslip corrected. Thanks.
Ichthyophthirius

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Josh,

This is late but maybe we can still help.

I don't know a Leica 20x LL 0.40. Do you have a link? There are a lot of Objektives labelled "Leica" that are neither Delta optics nor HCS. Even Leitz objectives are sometimes sold as "Leica".

Does it look like this? https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/264099904645_/Leitz-LL-20x-40-Infinity-Metallurgical-Polarizing-Long.jpg or this https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Re2hxwMnMCI/WZZyv-6jKNI/AAAAAAAAXdU/h5_MMEHRLUkalCggOF6-b_gm8f5X-XZFQCHMYCw/iSale?imgmax=800
In that case you can probably use anything as a tube lens (Leitz metallurgical microscopes have a non-compensating tube lens) but you need a Periplan eyepiece to correct CDM.

Regards, Ichty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Macro All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: