Dirt inside eyepiece => acceptable?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Leif

Dirt inside eyepiece => acceptable?

Post by Leif »

Is dirt inside an eyepiece normal? I bought a projection eyepiece (2.5x) for use with a Nikon D200 on a Meiji 4300H microscope.

Here's the two images:

The second has the eyepiece rotated by about 45 degrees so as to isolate dirt inside the eyepiece from other sources of dirt.

Incidentally I'm still getting used to the scope, and I'm not even convinced the focus is spot on, or that vibrations are not an issue.

Anyway, I'm returning the eyepiece on the grounds that I cannot clean inside. (I cleaned the outer surfaces with PecPads and Eclipse fluid with no improvement.)

Leif

Post by Leif »

In case anyone is interested, Brunel (the supplier) and Meiji UK have agree without quibble to replace the eyepiece.

Tony T

Post by Tony T »

Pleased to hear that, my experience has been the opposite (but not with these companies). It took weeks and weeks (and lots of phone calls) for Nikon and a large Toronto camera store to replace a faulty digital SLR body.

Leif

Post by Leif »

Tony T wrote:Pleased to hear that, my experience has been the opposite (but not with these companies). It took weeks and weeks (and lots of phone calls) for Nikon and a large Toronto camera store to replace a faulty digital SLR body.
Sorry to hear about your problems. I have had mixed experiences with Nikon, though recent experiences with Nikon UK have been good.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic