Peruvian Amazon: Manu/Tambopata Part III

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pbertner

Peruvian Amazon: Manu/Tambopata Part III

Post by pbertner »

Turning over a new leaf...the wet season marks a distinct change in the seasons, as many trees and flowers fruit, and animals breed in response to the abundance of food:

Insects too, like these colourful, aptly named rainbow katydids (Vestria sp.):

A canopy ant (Daceton armigerum) removes water, drop by drop from its flooded nest:

Carpenter ants communicating via trophollaxis (food/nutrient exchange):

A narrow-mouthed frog (Microhylidae) hovers over an ant hole, its narrowed head is perfect for wedging itself deep into ant nests and picking off ants with its small sticky tongue:

Termites mounds aren't static, but rather function much like a city, with traffic being redirected through new galleries in response to environmental conditions like flooding, obstructions, etc...New openings are also made in response to lunar cycles, which function as cues for the nuptial flights of alates (reproductive winged males/females):

Though it may not seem like much in the above photo, there's a reason why they have to open up many new runways...A swarm inundates my flashlight left for no longer than a couple minutes on the ground:

This swarm provides an abundance of food for the vertebrate and invertebrate communities:

A cockroach steals salts from a sleeping collared tree lizard (Plica plica):

A moulting aposematic hawkmoth caterpillar extracts its long tail, important for fending off parasitoids:

Thanks for looking and commenting,
Paul

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I always look at your new posts with great anticipation. I haven't been disappointed yet. Great stuff. They need several visits.
Chris R

pbertner

Post by pbertner »

Thanks for the kind words Chris, I'll have to be extra conscious now to up my game and not disappoint!

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Always the best! Very engaging subjects and top-notch photography!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic