Question about the Scanner Nikkor 7 element ED lens

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

naturepics43

Question about the Scanner Nikkor 7 element ED lens

Post by naturepics43 »

I just received a lens that the seller described as “Imaging Lens for Nikon Super Coolscan IV (LS-40 ED) scanner”. (The Scanner Nikkor 7 element ED lens). The lens arrived as pictured on eBay. When I removed the lens I noticed that it only had one deep groove. All the pictures that I’ve seen here & other sites showed a deep groove and a shallow groove. With the lens in a temporary mount, I discovered that it is a 46mm f3.5 lens. Could this be a different version to the 40mm f2.0 Scanner Nikkor 7 element ED lens? The diameter is 24.76mm X 39.37mm long, if my Starrett digital caliper is accurate. Opinions please.Image
Image[/img]

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

This does not look like the lenses from Super Coolscan IV scanners I have seen. As you say, the lens of the Super Coolscan IV has two grooves (one is a machined groove, the other seems to be a joint between two sections of the barrel but I have not tried to take my lens apart).

I don't know what the plastic lens holder in these scanners looks like. The one you show in the picture might be from another Coolscan or Super Coolscan model.
--ES

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Right now there is a lens on eBay advertised as "Nikon Super Coolscan Film Scanner, Lens." (eBay item n. 312793357914) that looks the same as the one you got. The ink dot on the lens barrel is violet in the picture instead of white, but the white balance may be off because of the blue background of the picture.

The description does not say from which model it comes, only "Exclusive SCANNER NIKKOR ED high-resolution/high-performance optics (7 elements in 4 groups including 3 ED glass elements) for reduced colour aberration and minimized image distortion."
--ES

typestar

Different version of Nikon Coolscan 7 element Scanner lenses

Post by typestar »

enricosavazzi wrote:This does not look like the lenses from Super Coolscan IV scanners I have seen. As you say, the lens of the Super Coolscan IV has two grooves ...
@ Enrico,

(nice to read from you here!) -- The Nikon Coolscan ED 4000 lens (which you got from me and tested it for your appreciated site,
together with a PN 105) looks exactly as you describe it here.
The Coolscan ED 4000 and "Coolscan IV" - Scanner line- lenses are "normaly" described as identical.
What we know: some of them have a white dot, some have a pink (violet) dot marking.

@ naturepics43:

I saw this auction for the "Nikon Super Coolscan IV (LS-40 ED)" scanner lens on Ebay.
About 2 years ago, I purchased 2 Nikon 4000 Scanner lenses from an US ebay seller (nikon_coolscan) who offers (still)
repair and service for Nikon Scanners and got from him:
  • 1 x the known Nikon Coolscan ED 4000 version ("2 groves") and
    1x a lens, which looks exactly as yours ("1 grove") and which the seller described/offered me from this way:
  • " ...I found an additional lens that is different than the Nikon 4000 lenses. It is the same size but with no thin line
    just the thick line that divides the lens in two sections and it has an obviously different magnification
    than the 4000s
    ... the one that came from a V (which is the same as the 5000) ..."
If this is correct -- either: there are 2 different versions of the two Nikon Coolscan 4000 / IV scanner lines
and the "1 grove" edition is (perhaps?) out of a "Nikon LS-40" and the Nikon ED 4000 scanners include the two grove-version (??)
Or: the lens - as my seller described it and which you have - is really "from a V" / 5000 scanner (which I cannot proof) But what could speek against this:
Parts out of a Nikon 5000 scanners are offered still at higher prices, so an ebay-seller could sell a "V"-lens even more expensive.
IF your lens shows a different power, I cannot say. The coating (of my 1 grove-lens goes more into nice, violet appearance.
As we know, appreciated member Robert tested the "2 groves" version with success and recommendations.
And the prices even for damaged Scanners have climbed like crazy.

What I CAN proof (because I dissassembled some of these scanners myself):
The discussed lens is definitely NOT out of a Nikon Coolscan III (LS-30). The Coolscan III lens-housing and lens-assembly looks totally different,
lens housing is narrower and these III scanner lenses are even a little smaller in comparison to the 4000 lenses--
and they also have just 1 grove.

I hope, I could help

With my best wishes to all the Scanner-lens-testers 8)

typestar

naturepics43

Post by naturepics43 »

Enrico & Typestar,

Thanks for all the valuable info. I'm sure this will help me figure out where the lens came from. OR, maybe not worry about where it came from and enjoy what seems to be a very good lens. Thanks again for your help.

Allen

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

naturepics43 wrote:Enrico & Typestar,

Thanks for all the valuable info. I'm sure this will help me figure out where the lens came from. OR, maybe not worry about where it came from and enjoy what seems to be a very good lens. Thanks again for your help.

Allen
If the price was reasonable, it may be a good chance to make a quick test of this different lens. If it turns out not to match the quality of the 7-element lens of the Super Coolscan 4/5, you still have a good reason for returning it as a misrepresented item.
--ES

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic