SONY A7R IV - First Impressions

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

fisheyeadventures

SONY A7R IV - First Impressions

Post by fisheyeadventures »

Hey everyone,
Receiving the sony a7R IV last week 1month earlier than expectd, I was really excited to test it during a hike in austria the last days. Especially the advanced autofocus options caught my attention. The 61MP sensor really does a great job when you need to crop your wildlife and macro photography images. Hopefully Sony will add the possibility to use animal auto focus in video mode and 4k60 via a firmware update...
In the following video, I show my first impressions. During the hike last week I took a lot of nice macro photos and also did some tests, like shooting the moon;)
What do you think about this camera? Probably noone really needs thats a camera like this, but it's nice to have;)
https://youtu.be/uua6BYJUqzI

aveslux

Post by aveslux »

I have a few questions about macro on a mirrorless, when focusing manually or using a fixed focus point electronic aperture lens how easy is your focus down the viewfinder? Can you see when your focus there okay?

I tend to like to focus down the viewfinder as it keeps the camera/lens/flash weight controllable.

If I was to buy a Sony body and a converter for use with my Canon manual macro lenses would the electronic aperture control work?

fisheyeadventures

Post by fisheyeadventures »

Hey,
do focus in macro photography I always use the focus magnifier in the view finder. Most bodies support X6 oder X12 times magnification. Then it is really easy to check if the eye f.E. are in focus. (But I have never used a lens converter)

dunksargent

Post by dunksargent »

aveslux wrote:I have a few questions about macro on a mirrorless, when focusing manually or using a fixed focus point electronic aperture lens how easy is your focus down the viewfinder? Can you see when your focus there okay?

I tend to like to focus down the viewfinder as it keeps the camera/lens/flash weight controllable.

If I was to buy a Sony body and a converter for use with my Canon manual macro lenses would the electronic aperture control work?
To use a Canon EF lens on a Sony E body a 'smart' Metabones EF to Sony E electronic adapter is required to maintain auto aperture control. A 'non-smart' adapter can be used if the required lens aperture is 'preset' on the Canon EF mount lens by stopping the lens down first on a Canon camera , then detach the lens, and then attach to the Sony camera … whence the previously set aperture is maintained but cannot be altered until reattached to a Canon camera.

I use non-Sony manual focus lenses on Sony mirrorless full frame cameras for both regular and close-up photography. It's possible to adapt nearly all manual focus legacy lenses to any mirrorless camera and use the cameras in either aperture priority or manual exposure modes. The live view image 'brightness' is amplified … and can also be magnified … for ease of focus … even when the lens is stopped down.

dunk
And now for something completely different.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic