Minolta 5400 Lens for DSLR Scanning

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JaroslawKubiak

Minolta 5400 Lens for DSLR Scanning

Post by JaroslawKubiak »

Dear Forum,
as Mr. O'Toole has shown the Dimage 5400 lens is absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately the scanners light source is pretty poor. Both scanner models produce uneven light that shows itself in the picture as vertical stripes and horizontal color shifts from magenta to green. It's not very obvious but once you have seen it, it gets really annoying. Especially when you try to counter for it in Lightroom.

So I thought I would copy Mr. O’Toole's approach and stick the lens via adapters on my Canon 6D and use a Kaiser Filmcopy Vario as lightsource and film mask.

Maybe someone could kindly help me with a couple of questions before I go out and spend money:
1. Does this lens produce sharp pictures on a fullframe camera when reproducing 1:1?
2. How do I focus a lens like that? By adjusting the space between lens and subject?

Thank you very much in advance!

Image source: https://www.fotointern.ch/archiv/2018/0 ... alisieren/

lothman

Re: Minolta 5400 Lens for DSLR Scanning

Post by lothman »

JaroslawKubiak wrote: 1. Does this lens produce sharp pictures on a fullframe camera when reproducing 1:1?
2. How do I focus a lens like that? By adjusting the space between lens and subject?
1) The lens was not designed for 1:1 magnification but still works at 1:1, so you leave the optimum of this lens. Did you read Robert O'Tooles 1:1 lens test, so may be the Sigma 70mm Art is better suited for your purpose.

2) yes,with the distance lens<->sensor you control the magnification and with distance lens<->object you control focus

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic