Restoring plastic handrests, Nikon Optiphot-2 ?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Synura

Restoring plastic handrests, Nikon Optiphot-2 ?

Post by Synura »

Hello,

The brown plastic handrests on the Nikon Optiphot-2 have often degraded into a sticky mess over the years.

I saw a post recently by someone who restored the handrests by removing the sticky surface layer. I just can't find that post any more. Does anyone here remember it?

I'm asking for a friend :D

Kind regards,

Jon

abednego1995

Post by abednego1995 »

I've cleaned up mine with isopropanol. Kind of messy and tedious, but works.

Cheers,
John

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

3D printing a new one should work a charm too.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Synura,

If nothing else works, consider PM'ing me. I have a number of Nikon Optiphot-2 bases--some with decent plastic handrests--and could likely send your friend a couple if needed.

--Chris S.

aidanmoore

Post by aidanmoore »

This tendency for some plastics to degrade and become sticky was my nightmare for several months last year.

I had a few microscopes with this problem, as well as other electronic gadgets that became unusable beacuse of the tactile degredation.

I tried everything, isopropyl, etc., and while isopropyl and a toothbrush does eventually get the surfaces clean, the absolute magic bullet for these materials is a baking soda and water mix with either paper towels or a toothbrush.

If you dissolve a few tablespoons of baking soda in a small dish with water and dip a toothbrush in the solution and then start cleaning the surface of the plastic, the sticky surface material beads and forms clumps that can then be rinsed or wiped off with clear water.

Absolutely the fastest way to get this stuff clean and has helped me get new life out of older gadgets.
Custom Nikon/Thorlabs Microscope Nikon Z7ii ZCAM E4

Synura

Post by Synura »

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for the suggestions and the offers of help.

I couldn't find that forum post and it was really bugging me. It must have been the baking soda I was thinking of: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=34918

Thanks for the clue, Aidan! Now we have two pleople who used it successfully - hopefully it will work for us as well.

Kind regards,

Jon

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic