A7Riv - what use 61MP? Or 240MP pixel-shifted?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Lou Jost wrote:If I recall correctly, the largest image Zerene can handle is very close to the size of the largest hi-res image Sony images.
Zerene Stacker is limited only by memory. The standard recommendation is 100-200 megabytes per each 1 megapixel, so you can do 240 megapixel images on a machine with 32-64 GB of physical memory.

--Rik

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Zerene Stacker is limited only by memory.
Glad to hear that. I somewhere read there was a hard limit.
It also highlights a distressing concern about the quality of the single image. Why would the single image look so horrendous?
Some parts of single images with periodicity can look pretty awful over several pixels. Do you remember the weird black-and-white "holes" in the image I used for my S1R pixel-shifting test?

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/u ... tail_1.jpg

Bob-O-Rama

Thats actually pretty amazing.

Post by Bob-O-Rama »

Its pretty ( expletive deleted ) impressive, if for you this is a "working camera" I can see easily recouping the $2K premium in avoiding stitching work flows and getting the resolution you paid for with premium optics. Its crazy.

ray_parkhurst

Re: Thats actually pretty amazing.

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Bob-O-Rama wrote:Its pretty ( expletive deleted ) impressive, if for you this is a "working camera" I can see easily recouping the $2K premium in avoiding stitching work flows and getting the resolution you paid for with premium optics. Its crazy.
I suppose some stitching can be avoided, depending on the final IQ expectations. I also still have the open question about "believability" of the final composite image, and will probably have to do the test on my own if I buy one of these. For sure the IQ of a 2x downsized 16-image composite will be greatly improved over the single image, and marginally improved over the 4-image composite. This is clear from the images provided by Beatsy. But I would not expect a pixel shift image to rival the IQ of a stitched image taken at double the magnification.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Beatsy wrote:Could be. But here's a crop of the "beaty" region from the 240MP file. There is a regular horizontal pattern there. Is that what you're seeing?
Any further update? I am really down to just a single question about the camera before I place an order...can it display Live View using Imaging Edge via USB while also enabling wired triggering for stacks? Can it even do wired triggering for stacks??? I suppose I can put up with connecting to my monitor using HDMI as long as I can do wired triggering for stacks, but if it can't do ANY of the above I can't see trying to work around its limitations.

svbreakaway

Post by svbreakaway »

ray_parkhurst wrote:can it display Live View using Imaging Edge via USB while also enabling wired triggering for stacks? Can it even do wired triggering for stacks???
I have found my a7R4 (and a7R3 before that) to display Live View using Imagine Edge Remote on my Windows 10 system without problems. I'm using a Stackshot 3X rail and Zerene (Tools>Stackshot) to control the rail and capture. So,

- Win10 Imaging Edge Remote -> USB-C -> a7R4 (for the Live View)
- Win10 Zerene -> USB -> Stackshot Controller -> Multi Terminal (looks like USB) -> a7R4 (for capture)

I normally shoot in pixel shift mode. Imaging Edge automatically streams the 4 (or 16) component (ARW) images back to Imaging Edge View and creates the combined (ARQ) image. After Zerene is done and all the images for the stack have been collected, I select all the ARWs in Imaging Edge View and delete them. Then select the ARQs and save them as 16-bit TIFFs for input to Zerene stacker.

I generally use 4-image pixel-shift. I believe it produces a noticeably better result over non-pixel-shift (pixel peeping and I print large). I've tried 16-image pixel-shift but found the 4-image to produce a better result. I'd like to suss that out better at some point but haven't yet.

When I first started using this setup (using an a7R3, so it may be different now with the a7R4), I had hoped the USB-C connection would also power the a7R3, but it didn't seem to. So, I got an AC-powered dummy battery (Gonine NP-FZ100 AC Power Adapter) and except for the a7R3 (and now a7R4) warning me that the battery is not certified (or words to that effect), it seems to work OK. It only complains the first time I plug in the dummy battery so not a big deal.

BTW, I have two Windows 10 systems - an older one (dual core i7) that does the capture and a new faster one (5GHz 8-core i9) for the ARQ-to-TIFF conversion and Zerene stacking - so I can overlap my capture process on one with my stacking post-process on the other. I recently got a Synology NAS server, Ethernet attached between the two Windows 10 systems (ie. mapped to a Windows drive on each) so all the images are streamed directly to the NAS and I process them there. I use RAID 1 (mirroring) mode between two large disks for a warm feeling that my images will survive a disk failure.

My gallery: http://svbreakaway.info/photography-mac ... p#crystals
My current setup: http://svbreakaway.info/photography-mac ... hp#current

If this isn't clear, I'll try to post a video on Youtube later.

Mike Niemi
    Last edited by svbreakaway on Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

svbreakaway wrote:
    ray_parkhurst wrote:can it display Live View using Imaging Edge via USB while also enabling wired triggering for stacks? Can it even do wired triggering for stacks???
    I have found my a7R4 (and a7R3 before that) to display Live View using Imagine Edge Remote on my Windows 10 system without problems. I'm using a Stackshot 3X rail and Zerene (Tools>Stackshot) to control the rail and capture. So,

- Win10 Imaging Edge Remote -> USB-C -> a7R4 (for the Live View)
    - Win10 Zerene -> USB -> Stackshot Controller -> Multi Terminal (looks like USB) -> a7R4 (for capture)

I normally shoot in pixel shift mode. Imaging Edge automatically streams the 4 (or 16) component (ARW) images back to Imaging Edge View and creates the combined (ARQ) image. After Zerene is done and all the images for the stack have been collected, I select all the ARWs in Imaging Edge View and delete them. Then select the ARQs and save them as 16-bit TIFFs for input to Zerene stacker.

I generally use 4-image pixel-shift. I believe it produces a noticeably better result over non-pixel-shift (pixel peeping and I print large). I've tried 16-image pixel-shift but found the 4-image to produce a better result. I'd like to suss that out better at some point but haven't yet.

When I first started using this setup (using an a7R3, so it may be different now with the a7R4), I had hoped the USB-C connection would also power the a7R3, but it didn't seem to. So, I got an AC-powered dummy battery (Gonine NP-FZ100 AC Power Adapter) and except for the a7R3 (and now a7R4) warning me that the battery is not certified (or words to that effect), it seems to work OK. It only complains the first time I plug in the dummy battery so not a big deal.

BTW, I have two Windows 10 systems - an older one (dual core i7) that does the capture and a new faster one (5GHz 8-core i9) for the ARQ-to-TIFF conversion and Zerene stacking - so I can overlap my capture process on one with my stacking post-process on the other. I recently got a Synology NAS server, Ethernet attached between the two Windows 10 systems (ie. mapped to a Windows drive on each) so all the images are streamed directly to the NAS and processed there. I use RAID 1 (mirroring) mode between two large disks for a warm feeling that my images will survive a disk failure.

My gallery: http://svbreakaway.info/photography-mac ... p#crystals
    My current setup: http://svbreakaway.info/photography-mac ... hp#current

If this isn't clear, I'll try to post a video on Youtube later.

Mike Niemi
      Mike...thanks for that very informative post. You've confirmed what I had hoped, ie that the extra USB ports would allow wired LV and triggering. The 16-image issues are not terribly concerning since I did not plan to "go big" anyway. I just want good looking, full color resolution 60MP outputs, and it seems that's working on the camera. Great news! Looks like I'll be getting an A7R4...Ray

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic