Black Widow

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Raul G

Black Widow

Post by Raul G »

I was looking for a fotomicrograph to make a Christmas card. I have a thing for spiders, but I don't think this image would make a nice holiday card.
Merry Christmas to all!!!
:D :D :D

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

That's a pretty close look at a pretty mean little spider. I am not a big spider fan but I have found that Black Widows have some very beautiful abdominal markings other than that little orangish-red hour glass. Being an arachniphobic, I still say a very good shot! :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Black Widow

Post by rjlittlefield »

Raul G wrote:I was looking for a fotomicrograph to make a Christmas card. I have a thing for spiders, but I don't think this image would make a nice holiday card.
It's a niche market, but I like the photo! Lovely textures on this beast.

In the green background, there are several vertical lines of dots that have me very puzzled. The best I can figure is that they're sensor dust that have been stretched into lines by stacking. But they're not radial like I usually get from magnification changes. Hhmm... Does your scope happen to shift sideways as it focuses?

--Rik

Raul G

Little Dots

Post by Raul G »

Hi,

Oh yes! I forgot to erase the dots.
They are the little registration marks that Helicon focus uses for stacking.

Raul

Raul G

Marks

Post by Raul G »

Hi Ken,

Thanks
I notice the marks!
I will get into them.

Raul G

mistake

Post by Raul G »

Hey Rik!

What I thought it was a registration mechanism, turned out to be a stacking artefact from dirt on the sensor.

Sorry, my mistake. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Raul G.

jmlphoto

Post by jmlphoto »

i used to see these ALL the time, havent for a while. never got too look at one that close usually my foot or something got to them first. specially after what i saw it do to a friend after it bit him. excellent shot btw, i wouldnt want it as a christmas card lol.
Jordan L. photo southern california.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: mistake

Post by rjlittlefield »

Raul G wrote:What I thought it was a registration mechanism, turned out to be a stacking artefact from dirt on the sensor.
Ah yes...and I'll bet your scope is one of the type that shifts the image sideways as it focuses. :wink:

Thanks for revisiting the question! (And I see the dots are gone now -- looks much better.) :D

--Rik

[Edit: well, I thought they were all gone. Looks like still a few in one line at the very bottom.]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic