Using flash produces blurred images throught microscope

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bromodomain

Using flash produces blurred images throught microscope

Post by bromodomain »

I connected a lamp and flash at the base light port of the microscope using a beam splitter. Using the lamp is fine but whenever I use the flash the images get blurred in one direction (that would be the direction of shutter movement). The camera is Canon 50D and the flash model is 430EX II. Any idea whats the reason for this and how could I remedy the situation?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Yes, very likely it will be due to shutter induced vibration.
What flash and camera settings do you use?

Test manual low power flash settings, second curtain sync with 1/8 sec or longer speed (in dark)....etc to isolate the issue.

More info at the FAQ https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=26185 (first links)
Pau

bromodomain

Post by bromodomain »

Thanks Pau, trying the manual setting and variations thereof made the situation better (I had the flash with standard settings ETTL and first curtain sync). And this is an excellent compilation of links you provided, extremely useful!

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Have you tried controlling for the power of the flash? That is, adjust the output and compare the results?

Likely it's due to flash induced shutter shake. You can feel the impulse wave of the flash by firing it at full power against your skin, with eyes closed obviously.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic