wing of fly

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

zook

wing of fly

Post by zook »

First.
In the past few seasons, the buds of bearded irisis I planted to attract crab spiders and insects were mysteriously rotten and decayed.
Last year, I find out that the cause of this "illnes" is a iris bud fly (Orthacheta dissimilis), which lay eggs into a iris bud. I did't find how this fly looks, except in the maggot stadium.
Searching in my old photos and re-processed, I've find this shot of a fly that lays eggs in a already rotting bud. I think a sexual distinction is visible - a yellow male and a gray female, I presume!
Is it iris bud fly?
Does anyone who know a flies much better than I, can say I'm right?

ImageDSC_4759 makro 2017

Everything was taken with Nikon D7000; TOKINA macro 100 f2.8 D AT-X PRO; hand held; natural light on suny day, f16 with different speeds; ISO500.
Last edited by zook on Tue May 21, 2019 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

zook

Post by zook »

Second.
On enlarged photo, fly, which I assume that is a male of Orthacheta dissimilis, there is a interesting triangular structures on the front edge of the wing.
I croped them in the third photo.
Can some member of the forum with adequate equipment, make a much closer shot on these structures on the wings? Is different flies have a different font edges of the wing?

ImageDSC_4732 makro 2017

zook

Post by zook »

croped

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I have not heard of the iris budfly before, but their scientific name is Acklandia servadeii. The ones with a plump abdomen, showing yellow, are more likely females that are swollen with eggs.
The triangular structures on the wing edge are stout bristles, generally used for mechanoreception. Here is another close up: http://www.3dham.com/animal/flywing.html The very fine hairs on the wing membrane are called 'trichomes'. These are not sensory organs but are really just elongate spikes of cuticle. They are probably there for a reason...
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic