camera to Olympus BH2

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nanometer

camera to Olympus BH2

Post by nanometer »

I'm starting to work with a BH2, and need to connect my Sony Amount camera.

I bought an NKF 2.5x photo eyepiece and the OM L adapter. Since the Amount camera has a flange distance about 1.5mm less than an Olympus film camera, I thought I would just need to replace the camera mount ring and add a mm or two of spacer.

Well, it turns out the focus for the camera is about 18mm higher than expected. I don't understand why.

I do have the DIC prism 1.25x unit under the trinoc head. I'm wondering if this is cause? It also makes me suspect that the photo eyepiece is somehow not in the correct position. I can't seem to find enough information to diagnose the cause.

I can certainly create an extension to handle the extra needed height, but if the 2.5x is not in the correct place, I would expect there would be some image degradation. Since I can't really hold the camera steady in this position, it's hard for me tell.

Any help appreciated.

Steve

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Do you refer to the Minolta/Sony "alpha" mount DSLR?
or to the alpha mirrorleess?
Pau

nanometer

Post by nanometer »

It's the Minolta mount which Sony calls A-mount. So I'm putting the Sony A99 and A99ii on top.

dickb

Post by dickb »

I did a quick search on the web, and found NFK not NKF eyepieces, as in NFK L and NFK LD photo eyepieces. Which version do you have?

I take it you have seen Alan Wood's site on these matters?

http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... ter-l.html

nanometer

Post by nanometer »

Sorry, I was sloppy it is NFK (I'm a Leitz guy up till now). It's the NFK 2.5x LD.

I have seen Alan's website, and couldn't find anything that seems to help with what I'm seeing.

Pau
Site Admin

Re: camera to Olympus BH2

Post by Pau »

nanometer wrote:I'm starting to work with a BH2, and need to connect my Sony Amount camera.

I bought an NKF 2.5x photo eyepiece and the OM L adapter. Since the Amount camera has a flange distance about 1.5mm less than an Olympus film camera, I thought I would just need to replace the camera mount ring and add a mm or two of spacer.

Well, it turns out the focus for the camera is about 18mm higher than expected. I don't understand why.

I do have the DIC prism 1.25x unit under the trinoc head. I'm wondering if this is cause? It also makes me suspect that the photo eyepiece is somehow not in the correct position. I can't seem to find enough information to diagnose the cause.

I can certainly create an extension to handle the extra needed height, but if the 2.5x is not in the correct place, I would expect there would be some image degradation. Since I can't really hold the camera steady in this position, it's hard for me tell.

Any help appreciated.

Steve
Yes, in fact it isn't normal.

Do you have an old Oly OM film camera to test it?
Forgiving for a moment the camera port, are your objectives parfocal between them when you change them at the binocular eyepieces?

In any case it seems that the photo eyepiece is misplaced or defective. First test if it is all the way down in the phototube slot with its shoulder touching the base where it must sit. Later please confirm that the OM L and PM-ADF adapters are in their places.
I do have the DIC prism 1.25x unit under the trinoc head. I'm wondering if this is cause?
I don't think so, if the problem came from the optics bellow the trinocular head it will also be present at the binocular view and will induce a big lack of parfocality between objectives
Pau

nanometer

Post by nanometer »

Pau,

The objectives are splan and they are parfocal.

I also have a NFK 3.3x LD, and it does the same thing.

Both photo eyepieces seat all the way down into the dovetail recess. I took the top half of the trinoc tube off, and there are a couple wafer thin shims in there, so that looks pretty normal.

I don't have an OM film camera.

What is the PM-ADF adapter?

Steve

nanometer

Post by nanometer »

Ok. I see the ADF is just the top part of the trinoc port that contains the circular dovetail.

I removed the two wafer shims that were between the ADF and lower trinoc sections, and the focus is now where I expect it!

Nice! Thanks for talking this through with me!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic