Scanner Nik 8000ED with Nikon K tubes tested

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

chuong nguyen

Scanner Nik 8000ED with Nikon K tubes tested

Post by chuong nguyen »

Follow up on:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... elecentric

I would like to share my setup for this lens in telecentric mode using Nikon K extension tubes.

The SN fits snuggly inside the K tubes. To provide telecentricity, a paper diaphragm of 10 mm is inserted inside the 42-52 step-up ring followed by a step-down ring and two K5 tubes.

This combo was tested at M=1 for 82 tiles 235 steps depth for a total of 20,000 images. The PTGUI alignment shows very good stitch.

The real image is here unedited.

https://viewer.gigamacro.com/view/DxHHQ ... &rot1=0.00

Details:

Camera : OMD EM5 MFT + Metabone speedbooster
XY stage : Modified microscope motorized stage
Z stage : Industrial (ebay) stage with 6 to 1 gear reduction
XYZ controller : NEAT 300 controller
Image acquisition time 11 hours
Image processing time 8 hours on Macbook Pro

Chuong Nguyen

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Hi

Thank you for posting your telecentric arrangement for this lens.

I find it difficult to visualise exactly where the original lens is when it is clothed in the K5 and other tubes together with your preferred orientation of the ED to the camera body.

Then there is the second group in your photograph where again I am finding it hard to visualise the orientation of this to the main lens group.

It is probably just me so this is no criticism of your post which is very helpful but some more information about the above would be good for me.

I would also be very interested in seeing more of your S&S rig.

Thank you.

John

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Hi Chuong,

Very impressive S&S effort and image!! 11 hours for 20,000 images, that's about 1/2 second per image....really quick!!

Agree with John, would like to see your setup.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

chuong nguyen

Post by chuong nguyen »

Agree with John, would like to see your setup.

Mike and John,

Here is another picture of the lens and extension tubes when they fit together:Image

Here are some pictures of my setup for the flower shots. I live near Silicon valley so my equipments are mostly from obsolete wafer inspection salvage.

The Z stage is mounted on the body of the Reichert Polyvar wafer inspection microscope. XY table is part of the microscope, modified to accept stepper motors. The travel is 300mmX340mm. The stages are controller by the New England Affiliated Technology NEAT 330 with RS232 interface.

Mike, You are right 20000 pictures in 11 hrs is very fast. I think I can get away with it thanks to the industrial stage. These can be bought fairly cheaply on ebay.

Here are some pictures of the setup.Sorry they should by rotated 90 deg for easy viewing.

Chuong

RDolz

Post by RDolz »

Hi Chuong:

Awesome work

From what I have seen in the mounted image, the telecentricity has worked perfectly, and therefore, the stitching between the images has also worked well.

I also like the three-axis S & S system. Congratulations.

Best, Ramón
Ramón Dolz

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Beautiful set-up. Ramon, I imagine the position of the aperture relative to the lens is the same as your set-up?

RDolz

Post by RDolz »

Hi Lou:

As I showed in

My configuration was: "The diaphragm is about 40 mm from the back of the metal barrel of the lens. The diameter of the diaphragm is approximately 9 mm"

I have made some measurements comparing the images that Chuong shows. With all the imprecision that this implies, I think it is approximately in the same position, although it seems that the iris is a few millimeters closer.

Chuong: can you tell us exactly how far away the iris is from the back of the metal barrel of the lens?

Best
Ramón Dolz

chuong nguyen

Post by chuong nguyen »

RDolz wrote:Hi Lou:

As I showed in

My configuration was: "The diaphragm is about 40 mm from the back of the metal barrel of the lens. The diameter of the diaphragm is approximately 9 mm"

I have made some measurements comparing the images that Chuong shows. With all the imprecision that this implies, I think it is approximately in the same position, although it seems that the iris is a few millimeters closer.

Chuong: can you tell us exactly how far away the iris is from the back of the metal barrel of the lens?

Best
My setup is 44 mm from the rear of the short-end of the lens. The diaphragm diameter is 11 mm which is 2 stops down. The sensor-lens distance is 133 mm.

Chuong

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic