My first photos

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bogdan Alecsa

My first photos

Post by Bogdan Alecsa »

Hi guys,

I just started and these are my first images ever, taken yesterday in my backyard and slightly improved/modified in LR.
Images were acquired handheld with a Canon 6D and Canon 100mm f2.8 USM, without any additional illumination so sorry for the misses. :)

I'm planning to buy a ring flash very soon to complement the setup as this is going to be strictly for trip outdoors, no supplementary equipment to be included.

Any opinions/advice, positive or negative are more than welcome! :))

Thanks in advance.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

It is a very good start, and you made good use of the natural lighting. I very much like all of them. The important thing is to get focus on some critical point(s) and that would be the eyes in most cases. You have certainly done that.
The snail is harder, as it is 'thicker'. You got the body in good focus, and that was essential. It would be good as well to try to get the top of the shell in focus but that would require a smaller aperture for deeper depth of field. Getting all that in focus would be extra difficult.

Anyway, these are quite good! The insect in pictures 4, 5, 6 looks to be one of the 'cuckoo' bees. Their informal name is inspired by a kind of bird, and like the cuckoo birds these solitary bees are a kind of parasite in that they lay their eggs in the nests of other bees, fooling the parents into raising their young for them. So you see this hobby is full of interesting surprises.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

I agree with Mark's comments, and am reminded of my entrance into this business many years ago when a chance shot of a spider revealed to me for the first time that fascinating array of eyes.

Enjoy the small world!

Leonard

Bogdan Alecsa

Post by Bogdan Alecsa »

Thanks a lot for the good thoughts guys.
Even if the weather was not so good during this weekend, I manage to take another few shots around the garden.
Can't wait to get the ring flash and make myself some time to go to the fields.
Sorry for the nois, didn't have t

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic