Single Axis Stacking System Video

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mawyatt

Single Axis Stacking System Video

Post by mawyatt »

A few folks have asked that I post a video of the Precision Stack & Stitch System I'm developing. So I'll start out with a single axis system shown, first with the hardware description, second with the software and last with the operation.

Don't expect much as far a video quality as this is the 1st video I've done and nothing was edited, just shoot the setup and post to Google Drive.

The Single Axis System is based upon a Raspberry Pi Zero W computer with a custom interface board to trigger the camera and strobes as well as supply the Pi with 5 volts from the nominal 12 volt motor supply. The interface board sits on top on the Pi using the 40 pin connector.

VNC is utilized to connect to the Pi via wireless WiFi, so no monitor, keyboard nor mouse required to connected to the Pi.

The base is a Wemacro Vertical Stand operated horizontally with a THK KR20 focus rail (1mm pitch) driven by a 400 step NEMA 17 motor. Motor control is by way of a Pololu Tic-500 connected to the Pi by USB. The KR20 has a Panasonic SUNX magnetic sensor for rail "home" detection which is connected to the Tic-500 (that's a HIWIN KK50 rail shown with the sensor, but the KR20 has the same general setup).

Here's the videos, hardware, software and operation. The Precision Automated S&S System will follow when I get some time to shoot the videos.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1elblFj ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19g4uJz ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j8hIgv ... sp=sharing

Best,
Last edited by mawyatt on Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

That's a really nice rail you have there, I'm still using the Stackshot one, bugged about that elevated centre of gravity, annoying!

Oh and that plant on the table is like "what am I doing here?" Haha

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Thanks, this is the single axis setup, the S&S setup is more complex 3 axis and I'll be posting a set of videos on this soon.

My 1st rail system was a Stackshot (~2010), very impressive system and when used with Zerene GUI it's very easy and flexible system. Stackshot is probably the best stacking setup for completeness and flexibility, and the WeMacro is best overall value IMO.

I wanted to develop a completely automated S&S system and realized I was going to have to develop my own system, and set out to work with the THK KR rails and in one instance utilize the WeMacro Vertical Stand and another use the stand horizontally. This lead to the development of the horizontal stand as shown. For the precision use I wanted to use the Thor Labs based setup which is for horizontal, but also use it vertically. I purchased the necessary Thor Labs components and now can do both V and H use with the Thor Labs setup.

The S&S 3 axis System fits these setups similar to the single axis shown here. Here's some still images of the setup in the videos.

Actually the table belongs to the plant, so it's the rail stuff that is out of place :)

Best,

Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Wow, excellent job Mike. Man you've been one busy guy putting all this together. Nice video and well narrated. Congrats.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Thanks JW.

Yes, very busy indeed!!

This was the 1st video I've done, so all new to me. Was hoping it would be worthwhile unedited with not too many bad sections, and understandable.

Best,
~Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic