HOYA SCHOTT HL100

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

kiennosuke

HOYA SCHOTT HL100

Post by kiennosuke »

So I have found these optical sources but they're missing the optical fiber guide/ is it hard to find some optical fiber guide to match? Insertion diameter is 15mm. How much should I pay for one?

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Not hard to find, depending what kind you want. A quadruple forked rigid gooseneck is a bit hard to find, and the ones that come to fine points are kind of hard to find, but ring lights or normal goosenecks are not difficult. On a decent day on eBay you can get a source with a light guide together for 100 bucks or so. depending on what you're after, as a rough estimate maybe 30-50ish bucks for a light guide if you don't want to wait for a super deal and don't need something more rare. Of course they can have fibers break, so you'd want to be able to return the guide if it's worn out, though every one I have bought has been just fine.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

These are actually very easy to find, I have several, two which fit your 15mm requirement. I am using them all however, so not going to sell.

What you do is simply look up "optical fibre guide", "fibre guide", "microscope lighting", "optical illuminator", "light guide". There's many terms.

Try not to pay over $50 for them. I have a set of really good gooseneck dual guides which I paid $89 for, I personally won't go over $100. There's also quartz guides specifically designed for UV and liquid light guides like the 16mm single fibre guide I'm using, those are significantly more expensive.

Is it possible to change the mount on your unit? If so, it will be even easier. Simply find the correct SM1 adapter at thorlabs and custom fit an SM1 adapter to your unit.

Typical brands to look out for are schott, moritex, and Dolan Jenner.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Here's a bad one.
When operated, the whole unit appeared to be fine - the light coming out of the working fibres was so blinding that the other parts weren't noticed.
Use a window light for this, not a halogen bulb!

Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic