www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Robber fly "head shot"
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Robber fly "head shot"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Robber fly "head shot" Reply with quote

The last face a lot of small critters ever see! Shocked

Nikon D200. Reverse mounted Schneider Componon 28mm f4. 28 frames, stacked with Helicon Focus
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say as which I like the best Charlie, your robber fly here or the skipper in your other post. Both leave nothing to be desired in my opinion. Wonderful and quite interesting images as usual, thanks Charlie Very Happy
beetleman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful detail...as sharp as a Ginsu Knife...lighting is perfect. Super photo Charles
Jody Melanson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stunning! The light, detail, this photo has it all! Once again I don't understand why hardly any responses.

There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness.
Carl_Constantine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I can't see either picture. The place where Charles has it hosted is not responding.

Charles, you know you can upload the picture to this server right? I'd love to see these but can't. Can you upload them here instead?
puzzledpaul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<< I don't understand why hardly any responses >>

Well, I for one feel somewhat 'eulogistically challenged' when confronted by images of this quality - all that needs to be said probably already has been and people can get accustomed to such artistry that they don't expect any less from the individual(s) concerned - so excellence becomes the norm and therefore elicits little response?

That said, yes - a true 'Canon' pic - even tho' none of their kit sems to have been used in this partic. case.

Makes me wonder whether there's a case to be made for a separate section / forum just for stacked images - irrespective of the equipment used? (apologies if this has been raised before, btw)

pp
PeglegOS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody Melanson wrote:
Just stunning! The light, detail, this photo has it all! Once again I don't understand why hardly any responses.

We are just overwelmed with the stunning images. I for one just gaze at them for long periods. Striking...
Canon A1
Mamiya RB67 Pro
teva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those stacked images are just stunning.
MacroLuv

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb! Shocked Are those little oval things, upon antennae, ocelli a simple eyes? This is one sentimental robber, he released tear drop on a left eye. Cool

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. Very Happy
Smokedaddy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Robber fly "head shot" Reply with quote

Charles Krebs wrote:

Nikon D200. Reverse mounted Schneider Componon 28mm f4. 28 frames, stacked with Helicon Focus

Woa,

Charles the image is absolutely amazing, to say the least. Mind telling me something about the setup and protocol or procedure you used? I know what stacking software is but only from an astrophotography video perspective. What is the purpose? I have never heard of a Reversed mounted Schneider either? Is that something Nikon specific?

-SD:
Smokedaddy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Robber fly "head shot" Reply with quote

Oops,

If you've addressed the questions I've asked before, a link would be appreciated.

-SD:
Cyclops

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Robber fly "head shot" Reply with quote

Charles Krebs wrote:

Wow thats a stonker of a shot!
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Robber fly "head shot" Reply with quote

Smokedaddy wrote:
Charles the image is absolutely amazing, to say the least. Mind telling me something about the setup and protocol or procedure you used? I know what stacking software is but only from an astrophotography video perspective. What is the purpose? I have never heard of a Reversed mounted Schneider either? Is that something Nikon specific?

Charlie does nice work, doesn't he? Rolling Eyes Hopefully he'll be around in a day or two to fill in the details, but in the meantime I can give some general answers to your technical questions.

In photomacrography and photomicrography, "stacking" is used to get extended depth of field. Each frame of the stack is focused at a different depth. Software like Helicon Focus lines up the frames, then makes a composite image by choosing pixels from the sharpest frame at each pixel position. See this article for an introduction to stacking in photomacrography.

The Schneider Componon is a darkroom enlarging lens. It is designed to work especially well at low magnifications, with the back of the lens nearest to whatever is being enlarged. "Reverse mounting" the lens just means to orient its backside facing away from the camera, placing that side nearest the subject as designed. This trick can be used with any SLR, with the appropriate adapter.

--Rik
DaveW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD,

There are two reasons for reversing lenses. A conventional camera lens (usually a fixed focal length standard lens) can be used like a multi-element supplementary close up lens by reversing it on other lenses using a coupling ring to join the two filter threads together.

Secondly, reversed lenses can be used direct on the camera or on bellows or tubes using a lens reversal adapter that has the lens filter thread on one side and the camera bayonet on the other. When you use a lens closer so that its film/sensor distance is greater than it's lens to subject distance you are moving from the parameters it was originally designed for. So put simply turning it round so the end designed to be close to the film/sensor now faces the nearer subject and the end that was designed originally to be further away from the subject faces the larger film/sensor distance tends to restore the optimisation of it's design.

See:-

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/closeup-stacking-reversing.html

http://www.alanwood.net/photography/reversing-rings.html

Independent lens reversing rings are fairly cheap but makers are dearer:-

http://www.srb-griturn.com/index.php?cPath=25_61&osCsid=89b2085df858e1fb85bc4edbd643876f

http://search.ebay.co.uk/lens-reversing-rings_W0QQfromZR40

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=lens+coupling+rings

DaveW
acerola

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not here for a time, but this picture alone worth to come back. I love your pictures, Astonishing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Close-up Archives All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: