www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - What am I doing wrong?
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What am I doing wrong?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leonardturner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: What am I doing wrong? Reply with quote

Never had this problem until this morning; have tried multiple times to post an image, sized to 1024 on the long side, jpeg to less than 300, and it displays consistently at considerably larger than 100%, destroying detail. Have I overlooked some critical step?

Leonard
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I can think of really.
Sometimes the size is reported strangely if it's very close to 300kB; try a little less.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What am I doing wrong? Reply with quote

I have never seen a case where the forum itself makes an image larger. As far as I know, the only resizing that is done by the forum is to automatically shrink to 1024 any images that are larger than that.

leonardturner wrote:
Never had this problem until this morning; have tried multiple times to post an image, sized to 1024 on the long side, jpeg to less than 300, and it displays consistently at considerably larger than 100%, destroying detail. Have I overlooked some critical step?

Silly question, but have you recently switched to a different browser, or a different monitor, or changed your Windows display settings?

The reason I ask is that my main computer is set up with 175% scaling. That's mainly to fine-tune text size, but browsers interpret it as "I should display everything at 175%". That includes images. As a result, when I upload an image at 1024 pixels, the browser resizes it to display at 1792. All images are shown by the browser 1.75 times as large as they are shown by Photoshop.

Can you point to a particular image that is misbehaving for you?

--Rik
leonardturner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now believe that I understand my problem. My overly elaborate mouse has the ability to change screen magnification with a roller wheel. In Photoshop, I know the level of magnification of an image, but outside that application, I may not. The image in the mouse-rescaled forum field showed at a higher magnification than the image I had been working on. I suspect the reason I hadn't run into this issue before was because the degree of fine detail in my attempted post of yesterday (now posted as "Entropy") made such abuse more apparent.

In a fit of pique, I withdrew my mouse's permission to confuse me, but will probably reinstate it with a note to self to be more careful in the future.

My bad, but my thanks to you both for helping me think about it!

Leonard
grgh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: as subject Reply with quote

You could go into view menu on toolbar and tick "actual size"
this should bring all your screens back to normal?.
Zeiss PMII
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: