adventures in flocking

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

hero

adventures in flocking

Post by hero »

I swear I am not obsessive compulsive, but I had a lot of fun flocking all the separate parts to my setup. The only part that I couldn't flock is the inside of the Raynox.

This is the section behind the Raynox. I forgot to flock the M42 - M52 adapter in that photo but I fixed that.

Here is the rearmost part of the tube lens, mostly M52 extensions, each individually flocked.

And here is how I flocked an adjustable M42 - M42 screw focusing extension tube. At full extension the flocking doesn't quite cover the gap, but it was the longest I could go with the material without it bumping into other parts at minimum extension (unless I add more tubes behind it).

And finally, my full setup:

Yes, it is quite front heavy. No, I don't plan on hanging the whole thing off the camera mount; I need some additional gear that will clamp the tubes and support the setup in a more balanced manner. I happened to discover by chance that the step-down set that I bought, in conjunction with my 67mm macrolite adapter I already had, would allow me to mount the MT24EX flash heads, but truthfully, I am not sure I like this approach because the flash is heavy, bulky, and makes it hard to see around when I'm composing. But it works!

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

MJKZZ offers tube collars for exactly your tubes. Check them out.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

A proficient attack of OCD :D Nice job!

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Hero,

Nice "flocking" job :D

As Marco mentioned the MJKZZ clamps are nice. Also Hejnar has a ARCA rail that has a "Y" on the end to hold the long extensions. Both techniques work well with long lens extensions.

I've found that the eBay ~58mm tubes often have very sloppy loose camera mount adapters and front lens mount adapters, went through many of these to find one's that were a somewhat good fit.

Here's an example of the MJKZZ clamps.

This in an example of the Hejnar "Y" setup. The camera is sitting on the Hejnar ARCA rail with extends to the front with the "Y" adapter, I'm using rubber bands to hold the lens assembly in the "V" of the "Y" adapter. This isn't a good image, but you can see the OOF wheels that are on the ends of the "Y" adapter near the mid-right yellowish rubber band. This adapter is used for long telephoto lens and the wheels (2, one on each end of the "Y") allow things to rotate like the focus ring. So the rubber bands pull the lens into the "Y" wheels and help secure the setup, works well.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

elimoss

Post by elimoss »

Great job.
What kind of adhesive are you using to get it so tidy?

hero

Post by hero »

elimoss wrote:Great job.
What kind of adhesive are you using to get it so tidy?
Thanks! :D

Since the flocking material is Doodlebug Beetle Black cardstock, it doesn’t have adhesive. Application is actually really easy; I just used double sided tape, of the clear variety typically found in the crafts or office supply section (in the US, that would be something like Scotch brand). You don’t have to tape the entire back of the flocking.

Accurate measurement is important to get a clean look. The best way I found to get an accurate circumference is to take a scrap strip of cardstock, wrap it tightly inside the desired part, and mark off the distance. Then I use that as a guide for all of the parts with the same inner circumference. Mark the back of the sheet with a pencil. Firmly apply the double sided tape to the back so that when you cut and position the strips, they will adhere in at least two opposing spots on the inner circumference. Then with a sharp X-acto knife, cut through the flocking and the tape. Take a black permanent marker and black out the cut edges.

I did not try spray adhesive—this seemed potentially messy and liable to release vapors. Double sided tape seemed best.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic